Thread: Overclocked P4 3.2Ghz overheating

Overclocked P4 3.2Ghz overheating

I have a P4 3.2Ghz and Asus P5GDC-V and I would like you to explain what components of my motherboard I should cool down first. Actually, I already tried everything but I can not pass the bar 3.7Ghz crash without recurring to the excessive temperature in the tower. At 3.7Ghz, I can easily closed the tower and play for hours without crashing.

As against, if overclock to 2.91Ghz, the PC (with open box) works correctly if I leave the window wide open (it is just a side). But if I have the misfortune to close the window or the cabinet, is the death in 20 seconds (I have already managed to burn my food 300W lol)

I've a fan 60x60 on the 915G chipset cooler, a 40x40 on the heatsink between Block and ATX Socket, 60x60, and one on the heatsink noted " proactive" to the places SATA.

I check the temperature of these sinks, it is normal and it should not crash. Now maybe it is still cool else, but what?

AI Overclocking: Manual
    CPU Frequency: 244Mz
    DRAM Frequency: 488Mhz
    PCI Express Frequency: Auto
    PCI Clock Synchronization Mode: Auto
    Spread Spectrum: Auto
    Memory Voltage: Auto
    Chipset Core Voltage: 1.5V
    CPU Core Voltage: 1.5125V
    FSB Termination Voltage: Auto

Do you know of other more optimized settings? If so I await your answers with impatience.

Re: Overclocked P4 3.2Ghz - overheating

The instability of a system is not linked to excessive temperature components. The voltage also affects the processor. On the other hand, you says that your RAM works very well to 488MHz (better than the PC3200!), Except that it is not certified to operate at that frequency. This can lead to malfunctions ...

Finally, the Pentium 4 is not to make top overclocking. If you want to improve your performance, take a Core 2 Duo. Mine, I only overclocked 500MHz without touching anything else (no additional fan or open window in winter ...). The system is perfectly stable with RAM certified for the FSB after overclocking.

Re: Overclocked P4 3.2Ghz overheating

Quality cooling is essential to achieving and maintaining a good overclock. The temperature of various components should be monitored to ensure that they are being sufficiently cooled. CPU cooling receives the most attention. The stock cooler that comes with most retail CPUs is generally not suitable for overclocking. There is a wide variety of aftermarket air coolers that provide a correspondingly wide degree of cooling. Water cooling is a popular, though more expensive, way of cooling components (generally limited to CPUs and video cards, though there are water blocks available for many types of components). Extreme cooling options such as phase change are also available. In general, the cooler the component, the further it will overclock. Installing an aftermarket cooling on the Northbridge is common for moderate to high overclocks. There are also aftermarket coolers for Southbridges and RAM, though those components do not often require additional cooling in most systems or sufficient additional cooling can be provided by placing a fan to blow across the component.