Since there is more and more people switch to the new platform of Intel I7, I'm leaving here a little tips and a brief notes on the most important settings to get a good OC.

Variables come into play:

BCLK: the speed (133MHz) reference of the internal CPU bus and has a multiplier associated to obtain the speed of the CPU. Function identical to the FSB in 775 systems.

QPI: directly related to the speed BCLK and also contains a multiplier associated to obtain the speed data between the CPU and memory controller (internal). Identical or equal to the function of HTT AMD systems.

Uncore
: Also associated with the speed of BCLK and associated with a multiplier. It is part of the CPU that the L3 cache memory controller and integrated.

Ram: the DDR3 memory system is also linked to the speed of BCLK and is their multiplier to get the speed of the memory. This multiplier is the same function in these systems of "dividing" the ram of the 775 systems.

How can conclude the BCLK is crucial in shaping these new systems I7 and the multiplier of the other settings mentioned above, because of limits for each.

Multipliers default to 920 processor I7:

133MHz (BCLK) x 20 = 2666Mhz - "CPU (vcore)
133MHz (BLCK) x 18 = 2400Mhz - 'QPI (vtt)
133MHz (BLCK) x 16 = 2133Mhz - 'Uncore (vtt)
133MHz (BLCK) x 8 = 1066MHz DDR3 - 'Ram (vDIMM)

Notes:

• Only the 965XE processor multiplier allows I7 above unblocked.

• It is imperative that the multiplier used in the Ram is half or less than the multiplier used in Uncore. This limits somewhat the possibility of applying speeds up to 1600mhz easily 920/940 I7 processors because it has locked multipliers.

• The most important are the voltages that control the CPU (vcore) and QPI / Uncore (vtt). It is recommended not exceed 1.4v on the CPU (Intel recommends 1.25v) and vtt to 1.65v (1.45v recommended). Generality of CPU's reach around the OC values of 3.8 ~ 4Ghz with voltages lower than 1.35v vcore.

• Is relatively easy climb up to 160mhz without BCLK the need to move in voltages. Its onwards depending on the quality of CPU (case-by-case) you can use the voltages on the board (vcore and vtt)

• There is no need to speed up the QPI. Next of 4Ghz of QPI, the system begins to show instability. So you should apply the multi lowest available.

OC to carry out important steps in the order of importance:

1) find the maximum stable of BCLK.

BCLK: 133MHz, rising at intervals of 10 ~ 20mhz.
Multi CPU: 12x/14x for download.
Multi QPI: 18x maintain.
Multi Uncore: to maintain 16x
Multi Ram: 8x or lower. Should never exceed 50% of Multi used in Uncore.
Vcore 1.25v (1.45 max)
vtt 1.45v (1.65v max)
vDIMM 1.65v max
Note: rising BCLK vtt and increase where necessary. Over 160mhz the vcore up a little can help.

2) find maximum value of the Ram:

BCLK: 133MHz.
Multi CPU: 12x/14x for download.
Multi QPI: 18x maintain.
Vcore 1.25v (1.45 max)
vtt 1.45v (1.65v max)
vDIMM 1.65v max
Note: rising BCLK vDIMM and when necessary. Do not exceed 1.65v.

3) find the maximum of the CPU:

BCLK: maximum found.
Multi CPU: 12x/14x.
Multi QPI: Always 18x.
Vcore 1.25v (1.45 max)
vtt 1.45v (1.65v max)
vDIMM 1.65v max
Note: Multi CPU 12x/14x...passo-a-passo up to 20x. Vcore increase. When you find Multi maximum stable with maximum BCLK found, it is advisable to opt for Multi below.

Once you find a setup for stable settings for OC. It is possible to climb the Multi Uncore (18x or 20x) to enable use the Multi 10x (where half or less than the Uncore) of Ram and thus further speed up this.

I hope I have helped.