Thread: Random reboots. Seems like overheating problem.

Random reboots. Seems like overheating problem.

My desktop system goes on reboot randomly. Its not that it happens while running any specific program or files but it does any time, even when the system is idle. I feel like there is over heating problem with the cpu or something else that i cant figure out. Is it the the same problem that i am guessing or anything else could be there? I dont know much about computer internals.

It could be the overheating problem but it cannot be guaranteed as random automatic rebooting is associated with many other problems. Like power supply problems, HDD heating, virus/spywares corrupting the system files, etc.

Are there any viruses in your system? If there, just tell me the names of that virus species.

The symptoms that you mentioned gives me a doubt that it is most probably a PSU failing problem. I have come across such problems with the similar symptoms and mostly those would be power supply issues only. Check your PSU unit first.

I did the virus scan with Geek Squad MRI - L.A.S.E.R. and it showed some viruses and spywares. It was surprising that it didn't showed it earlier when it got affected since the resident shield is on. Is this caused due to these viruses and spywares? Also, many times the system would reboot while scanning itself. I could complete the scanning task after several attempts.

System shutting down or rebooting while scanning indicates that there must be some spyware/viruses that reboots the system when it is forcefully deleted. It then appears again after system starts.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPER COP View Post
    System shutting down or rebooting while scanning indicates that there must be some spyware/viruses that reboots the system when it is forcefully deleted. It then appears again after system starts.
    This can be. However, i feel that these viruses cannot be the cause of system reboot as i have completely deleted all the viruses through L.A.S.E.R. and now no spyware is shown on my PC. Still the problem persists. Also while rebooting, i cannot shut down my PC in any way. The power plug has to be pulled out. This is something very unusual.

I had a similar kind of problem. My computer would either shut down or reboot randomly. I was having 3 HDDs which were very close distanced. Very less scope for air passage. So i installed a fan on the PSU unit for providing extra cooling and that stopped that problem. So check out your HDDs.