Thread: Overclocking 8800gts video card

Overclocking 8800gts video card

I want to overclock the 8800gts video card which is of 640 mb as it uses the same stock fan that is used in the GTX cards which is very easy. I used nTuner to change the fan settings & also the core speed. Now, how far can i overclock with this card? I assume that i can go at a temperature of 75c as what i have seen so far? If the temperature will go higher will the performance of this card goes down? Has anybody done stable overclock with this card with all the settings? Thanks for any help

You can use 3dmark to get a good overclock on this card by trying different speeds as all cards are different with no change in the performance. Increase the memory by 90mhz for each and see to it if they are any corruptions by using the 3dmark and then to monitor the temperature run nTuner. If everything goes fine then increase the Mhz to some further extent by trying again until the temp or the performance starts to become unstable then lower down a bit where you can see everything working fine to get the video card stable. Thne fan can be controlled by nTuner so that you can use different speeds as per the temps on the video card. So while gaming the fan will rise to 90% under load but when the computer is idle the fan will just sit quiet. You can take the video card to higher temperatures above 70c but it is always better to stay under that temperature for its last long. Hope this helps & do tell us about your results.

The results have been a bit odd when testing it with 3dmark.

Got a result of 444/ 602 so is it better to leave at that & what does it excatly mean?

For gaming it is good. I use to get mine on 542 / 1555. Also with the A3 core you will get better clock than the A2 cores. Use nTuner to check it out. Starting with the core just go higher & higher. Until you can see any artifacts you can push it & backdown to 8mhz which goes same for the memory & the shader overclocks automatically with the core.