Thread: Windows Vista Hosts file

Windows Vista Hosts file

Hello,

I was trying to help a friend out with editing the hosts file in Vista. I'm a winXP user still so it's a bit different for me. I already read plenty about how I should edit it ( with administrator priviliges ) but the thing is, we can't seem to FIND the hosts-file at all.

Normally it's located in C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\etc but for some reason there is NO folder 'etc' in the Drivers folder. First I thought it might be because it was an invisible file, but it is NOT an invisible file so that can't be it. Also the folder 'etc' not being there is very weird. So basically I got stuck there, because I couldn't find the required map/file for it...also tried with the search option but there were no search results ( atleast not the one I need ).

First question: Could it be that software is hiding the folder(etc)/file(hosts) from the user?
    Second question: Could it be there is no folder named etc and no file called hosts ( doesn't seem logical to me since every computer has it for as far as I know )?

So, yes, is there any reason for it not showing up? Because it's pretty annoying, since I need to alter it for a program to run properly.

Thanks,

Simon

Are you sure that you cannot see windows/system32/drivers/etc and open the host. I don't know what the problem can be, because I was able to make a change to the Host file and save it on Vista Ultimate.

The hosts file can only be modified from programs that are running with your admin power (they prompt you with a "Windows needs your permission to continue" prompt).

The solution is to launch notepad with your admin power by right-clicking it and clicking Run As Administrator, and then editing the file.

As I said, I already read up about how to open the hosts file with administrator priviliges ... the folder just ISN'T there. Neither is the hosts file ...

It's like an invisible file when you don't have "show invisible files" enabled.
    Thanks for the link but I already found that one . Thing is I can't edit anything when I can't see it

First question: Could it be that software is hiding the folder(etc)/file(hosts) from the user?
    which software you are talking about? What do you want to edit in it?