Thread: Error code 800700C1 when trying to install Vista SP1

Error code 800700C1 when trying to install Vista SP1

Hello,

I am completely new as a member to TechArena although I have read some threads here before and find it a useful site. The reason I registered is because I am having problems installing the new service pack 1 for Vista.

This code 800700C1 appears any time Windows Updates tries to download the installation file. This same error will also appear when I try and install the SP1 from the standalone installation package.

I have been in email contact with a Microsoft technician for the last few days and he has been giving me lots of different action plans with no success. Things like; installing in safe mode, uninstall antivirus software, disable startup items, sfc/scannow as well as host of other ideas.

I receive the exact same update fail and error code (800700C1) when trying to download and install one other update - KB905866 Windows Mail Junk E-mail Filter. As I said, every other update works fine except for the Windows Mail and Service Pack update, which fail in the same way. I don't know if these have any relation but I thought it could be useful to mention.

I am reluctant to completely re-install my OS which I think, will resolve my problem.

I hope to hear form someone soon who may have the answers to my problem. Thanks in advance.

Karl.

idea

Karl,

Take from me this is a vista issue and notning else. I myself have tried the same updates but have different error codes. Before that I actaully turned off the automatic updates from Microsoft as I never see the value in them. If you are confident in your own abilites to be able to detect viruses or spyware I would not worry about it. I will take some heat for telling you this but the updates when it comes to microsoft are really only good around service pack 2, even then I would not trust the service pack. Look at all the issues SP3 is giving XP users. It is up to you! Take care.

Rammy