Thread: Windows 7: Unable to remember desktop folder location

Windows 7: Unable to remember desktop folder location

This particular problem helped me many times to fix the problem of mine. Hence I have returned with another problem over here and hoping that users of this forum will help me to fix the problem of mine. I think you have already got the idea regarding the problem by looking on the title itself. I have installed Windows 7 on the computer. Whenever I open and try to locate folder on the Desktop it did not seems to return to the location by closing or reopening. I am unable to figure out which steps should be taken to return to the predetermine location when I reopen the folder each and every time. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Windows 7: Unable to remember desktop folder location

I would like to have little bit more information in order to troubleshoot the problem of yours.
    • Can you explain how you are trying to close and open the folder on the computer?
    • Let me know whether there is an issue when you are trying to navigate folder?
    • Whether this issue is happening due to folder which you have created on the computer? Also created folder is missing the location where it was created?
    • Let me know if there are any changes in the View settings on the computer of yours?

I am suggesting that you should download ShellFolderFix from the official website of the computer. Well this is an App which you can use to make your Windows 7 Explorer folder to remember size and location of the folder. I let you know that it will not help you to manage the size and position of the regular applications. I recommend that you should either configure or disable Windows Manager in order to prevent conflict between ShellFolderFix and Windows Manager. Well its is a.zip file and available for both 32 bit and 64 bit version of the operating systems.

I am following features which are included in to ShellFolderFix app.
    1. It is having more pages and options in order to make difference between normal and experts options.
    2. It is having added folder list dialog which list all open folder windows with using command to activate like minimizing and closing the windows.
    3. It also has an option to show ‘Save Database Now’ on the command menu.
    4. There is new option added to control the newly opened windows in order to allow the app to configure so that it cannot affect the size of the windows.

I am having trick to fix the problem of yours and it consists of the following steps.
    • You have to launch My Computer and make position the Window so that it can be recognized. Now close the same.
    • Now you should double click on any of the Desktop icons and launch the same. You should open the same where it was on the computer. You have to move the windows to some another recognizable location.
    • You will see that when open more than one window all the windows will positioned to the offset right of the first windows.

One of my friend told me that you should not use Libraries or documents to browse the document folders if it not containing then general files.He told me that Libraries are having setting for the only one folder for the each kind of.Instead use My Computer or Click on the Start button and click on the Username and go for My documents to open the folder on the computer.

Well looking at the situation this problem seems to be happening due to corrupted user profile on the computer of yours. I let you know that you need to create a new user profile on the computer and see whether issue is persisting or not. If issue does not appearing on the computer then you have to move all the settings of yours to the newly created user account and delete the corrupted account from the computer of yours.