Thread: Service pack 2 crashes

Service pack 2 crashes

I have AMD Athalon 1.83 ghz, 1.00 ram, 160 gb hd. Windows XP home. I have Norton system works, and internet security. I also have zone alarm pro. I downloaded sp2 from microsoft, no problem. I install it onto the computer and restart. As it is restarting, i see the home edition come up, then the blue (fatal error) screen behind it for a second and the computer shuts down and re-starts. This time i get the Safe mode screen. I can start in safe mode. After starting I can delete sp2, restart, and all is well. I have tried this many times (Frustrated). I need HELP to get this installed so i can up-grade my IE and other items.

well, i think u will have to slipstream xp with sp2 & then installing it.

Re: Service pack 2 crashes

the same thing has happen to me. i have xp home edtion version 2002, pentium 4. when i try to upgrade to sp2 every goes well until the restart. When it tries to restart the screen goes black. I can get in in safe mode and if i do a system restore everything goes back fine. PLease Help!!!!

I would suggest you first reinstall Windows XP on your computer and start a fresh clean session and after that immediately install SP2 . Reinstalling with full format of the hard drive will eliminate all possible errors and corruptions you could have on your computer, will delete possible infections so that you can successfully upgrade to SP2 .Also reinstalling is the fastest solutions , it will take you some hours but diagnosing the possible problems will definitely take more

The crash is happened due to some hard ware failure. There might be some hardware like printer, scanner, usb device, etc which is not compatible and getting your operating system crash. First try this boot from Windows CD and select the partition which has Windows. Do not run a upgrade perform entire format and install XP. You can also do this by a different way. First turned your computer on and the Insert you Windows XP SP2 cd. A blue screen menu will appear. Click on install XP. Then it will ask your for upgrade or clean installation. Do no choose upgrade choose the second option. You system will restart.