Thread: Vista to Vista: network shared folder disconnecting...

Vista to Vista: network shared folder disconnecting...

hi guys,

I got a problem with a network shared folder which needs to be manually re-connected every time i log on.

Computer with a network shared drive is running Vista Ultimate 32-bit.
    Computer mounting the network shared folder is running Vista Home 32-bit, connection is done via WiFi, 1GBit speed.
    There are no WiFi connection problems, signal is stable.

This is what I did so far: I set a unique Workgroup name on both computers.
    I also set the same login and password on both computers.

Then I changed my network setting from 'public' to 'private' on both computers.
    I enabled all Sharing and Discovery options (all set to 'on')
    I shared the drive on the host computer, drive letter is E:

Then I mapped the network drive on the other computer and assigned letter Z: to it.

I enabled media sharing from Windows media player on both machines. I was able to add music files from the shared network drive and after a while, all songs were added and I was able to play them without a problem. So far, so good.
    Problem: mapped network folder stays mapped for as long as I stay logged-in. After that, connection is lost. The only way to re-establish the connection is to manually do it by typing the login and password of the mapped folder.
    Why is this necessary?
    I tried using the NET USE /PERSISTENT:YES from command shell, it didn't solve the problem. Is this some Vista's limitation/bug or am I missing something here?

thanks

Re: Vista to Vista: network shared folder disconnecting...

OK, so I'm not sure if this is going to work or not, but a while back i did a search on stored credential properties....

If you go to start->run (or start->Accessories->Run) and type

rundll32.exe keymgr.dll, KRShowKeyMgr

and press OK
    (yes that is a comma and it is case-sensitive)
    it brings up the stored user names and password manager. If you click on Add...
    you can fill out the
    Log on to: <server, website, workgroup...>
    User name:<your user name>
    Password: <your password>

Again, not sure if it will work, but try it out and let me know.

I would suggest you to delete the current connection and create a new one and check it out are you still facing the same issue and check out the below links for more details

vista pc won't access network shared folders
    How to delete/disconnect a network drive.
    Remove previously mapped network drive

For that you need to first need to have a "Shared Folder" on your hard drive. If you don't have it, then you need to create a new folder on your hard drive called "Shared", then right-click it and select properties. Next, click "My Computer" and in the Tools Menu, click "Map Network Drive". Notice the little down-arrow next to the drive letter shown. Click the arrow to get a list of letters. Select the one you want to delete, then browse for your Shared folder and select it. By this means, you will assign the drive letter to a real folder. Make sure the "reconnect at login" box is un-ticked. Click the Finish button to get a warning. Answer YES and the Shared folder will open. Close it. Next, right-click the drive in My Computer and select disconnect. And finally you need to reboot your system. Hope so it may help you to resolve your above issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy View Post
    OK, so I'm not sure if this is going to work or not, but a while back i did a search on stored credential properties....

If you go to start->run (or start->Accessories->Run) and type

rundll32.exe keymgr.dll, KRShowKeyMgr

and press OK
    (yes that is a comma and it is case-sensitive)
    it brings up the stored user names and password manager. If you click on Add...
    you can fill out the
    Log on to: <server, website, workgroup...>
    User name:<your user name>
    Password: <your password>

Again, not sure if it will work, but try it out and let me know.

thanks for replying.
    I tried that, doesn't work.
    First of all, for some reason the 'windows logon' option is greyed out. Any idea why?
    'Website logon' option is enabled but that's not what i'm looking for...

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon View Post
    For that you need to first need to have a "Shared Folder" on your hard drive. If you don't have it, then you need to create a new folder on your hard drive called "Shared", then right-click it and select properties. Next, click "My Computer" and in the Tools Menu, click "Map Network Drive". Notice the little down-arrow next to the drive letter shown. Click the arrow to get a list of letters. Select the one you want to delete, then browse for your Shared folder and select it. By this means, you will assign the drive letter to a real folder. Make sure the "reconnect at login" box is un-ticked. Click the Finish button to get a warning. Answer YES and the Shared folder will open. Close it. Next, right-click the drive in My Computer and select disconnect. And finally you need to reboot your system. Hope so it may help you to resolve your above issue.
    I think you forgot to type something after '...then right-click it and select properties. Next, click 'My Computer' and.....'

Shouldn't I enable sharing after clicking on Properties?

Quote Originally Posted by titanium View Post
    thanks for replying.
    I tried that, doesn't work.
    First of all, for some reason the 'windows logon' option is greyed out. Any idea why?
    'Website logon' option is enabled but that's not what i'm looking for...

thanks
    Sorry---Windows Vista Home Premium does not allow that option. That is why it is shaded out. I have a VM with Enterprise (which it is not greyed out) and a computer with Home Premium and it is greyed out. I did some searching on why that was, and it appears that Home Premium does not allow that option. I would suggest maybe writing a startup script or looking into 3rd party software to accomplish your goal.
    Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy View Post
    Sorry---Windows Vista Home Premium does not allow that option. That is why it is shaded out. I have a VM with Enterprise (which it is not greyed out) and a computer with Home Premium and it is greyed out. I did some searching on why that was, and it appears that Home Premium does not allow that option. I would suggest maybe writing a startup script or looking into 3rd party software to accomplish your goal.
    Sorry I couldn't be more help.
    thanks for all help, I really appreciate it.
    Ummm...asking me to write a startup script would be like asking a milkman to develoop a future weapon for DARPA...come to think of it, he'd stand a better chance than me!