Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your administrator.

sad This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your administrator.

AAAAAAAARGH!!! It seems like this message is haunting me...every time I try to do anything worth doing on the laptop...I get the error message "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your administrator."

The laptop is used for personal use only, and is an NEC Versa E3100. It is running Win XP Home and the problem that I am having is that I want to uninstall some stuff, and install new stuff...like plugins etc, but there is no administrator account....or an account with administrator privileges.

There are only two users on the laptop...both are limited.... I can't access anything that might be in the control panel, I did the regedit thing, I did the SpyBot thing, I can't create a new user, I can't log into an Admin account by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del at the log on screen...Running it in safe mode does nothing...Don't know exactly what happened to the Admin account but if anyone knows what the problem is, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by larissa; 14-10-2007 at 01:31 AM. Reason: More info included

Hi - I am getting the same problem. I am running Windows XP sp2, adaware, spyware doctor, spyware detector & Norton. Have run all scans but no current viruses, infections. I can't do any systems admin, security center, etc. because of same message - can't even view my own ID. Also the control panel which used to appear has now disappeared when I hit the start button. Not sure what to do but am still investigating. Any help is appreciated. dg

Error "Contact Administrator"

I've got the same problem. Everything you all said I've got it to... like a disease from SP2 or ie7. I recently downloaded these and one week later I can't access my control panel and make changes to my firewall. I even uninstalled those programs but still have the same problems now with new ones. "Iexplorer.exe can't find referenced memory 0x0112e2cb".

I went on microsoft and found their list of error messages and ways to troubleshoot but... because I'm having probs I had to keep going back to the site now I'm locked out... says the page I want is no longer on microsoft.com...

Anyone have a solution out there?

Think we could reset our users login (who is the administrator)??

Oh - got message restricted... contact your administrator when attempting to change desktop properties (background image), set program access defaults, and control panel ... now the control panel icon is gone.

Thank you for anyone that knows what to do...

S.Rainbolt
    Pace, FL
    Last edited by srainbolt; 22-11-2007 at 09:59 AM.

Add me to the list

I am right there with you all, so if you get any answers, please post. I cannot access Control Panel. (I thought) I was trying to download an ActiveX control to watch a video when I first noticed the pop-ups. I don't even know how to identify the problem I have - virus, spyware, etc.? But I get a pop up every five minutes telling me "Potential Spyware Operation! Click YES to download spyware remover..." OR Windows Security Alert that somebody's trying to infect my PC with spyware or harmful viruses. Click here to download spyware remover for total protection."

Thanks in advance if you can help.

Down

i was downloading the same Active X thing. and the same thing occurs. cant get into anything in control panel + heaps. and some spyware thing just pops up when i start my comp. plzzzzzzz need help.

can you help me. i cant find my control panel. but i changed that nocontrolpanel to 0.

Quote Originally Posted by jaspreet.sethi View Post
    Have been getting this error message since a few days now. have tried searching but to no success. cant do windows+E. cant do windows+R etc.
    plz help..
    the error message is
    This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.

thnx.
    Jaspreet
    do you have the rights of admin control panel?

Hi, this notice will appear when i click my C drive.Anyone can help?

TQ.

I have encountered the same problem. Please let me know how to remedy this problem.
    Barry Singer

(1) What is set at...?...

(a) "Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab"
    (b) Open the CD-ROM branch
    (c) D-Clk the CD-ROM device that appears under it for Properties

Does it have a letter? I am checked there for... Disconnect, Auto insert
    notification, & DMA.

(2) What shows in this Registry key...?...

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ex
    plorer]
    "NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=hex:95,00,00,00
    "CDRAutoRun"=hex:00,00,00,00

HOWEVER, if I may quote cquirke, (Blanton too)...
    ...........Quote.............
    In registry, look for NoDriveTypeAutoRun
    95 is default value, but *dangerous*; this autoruns HD too!
    9D is better value, allows CD autorun, suppresses HD autorun
    B5 disables CD autorun, enables HD autorun (bad)
    BD disables CD autorun, disables HD autorun (better)
    00 allows all devices to autorun (supremo bad)
    FF allows no devices to autorun (supremo safe)
    TwaekUI's Paranoi tab works through this setting
    ...........EOQ...............

Is there an "Autorun.inf" on the CD?

http://search.support.microsoft.com/...SD=GN&LN=EN-US MSKB
    Search "Autorun"; Windows 98; Full Text; produces two pages full,
    including...

http://support.microsoft.com/default...75&Product=w98
    CD-ROM Does Not Run Automatically After You Insert It into Your CD-ROM
    or DVD-ROM Drive
    (312475) - When you insert a CD-ROM that contains an Autorun.inf file
    into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, the CD-ROM may not start
    and run automatically as expected. Additionally, when you right-click
    the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive in Windows Explorer or...

http://support.microsoft.com/default...80&Product=w98
    CD-ROM Does Not Run Automatically When Inserted
    (177880) - When you insert a CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, it may not be
    run automatically.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...52&Product=w98
    CD-ROM Drive Icon Appears for a Hard Disk
    (185552) - When you open My Computer, your hard disk icon may appear as
    a CD-ROM icon. If you double-click (or right-click and then click Open)
    the CD-ROM in My Computer, you may receive the following error message:
    Cannot find autorun.exe.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

smile

Thank you so much. my control panel is now up and running in that folder there was a file called nocontrolpanel and it had the value of 1 and i changed it to 0. IT WORKS one more problem though. when i download installers like AVS Video Converter plus others it opens and within 5 seconds it closes. I have a memory stick when i plug it in that also shuts for no reason. please newtech you were lots of help. what should i do?

Hey everyone, I would firstly like to say thank you so much, I've had the exact same problem for months now and I was finally able to solve it. For me, the nocontrolpanel key was in a different folder, but I searched for it and found it. The key was set to 1 and when I switched it to 0 it worked!

So, for those still stuck, you can try this and I hope it helps.

Start>Run>RegEdit
    hit ctrl-f (brings up search menu)
    search for 'nocontrolpanel'
    If the nocontrolpanel key pops up double click it and change the value from 1 to 0.

Best of luck!

Thank You!

A big thanx to those mentioned above.
    The NoControlPanel worked a treat. Ran REGEDIT and scanned for all instances (found two that were set to 1). Changed to 0 and hey-presto.
    To get the control panel back I right-clicked on the Start button and added it again as a link.
    A little deeper into all of this (and the desire to find out what caused it) highly suggests that an infection eAccelerator was the root of all the issues.
    I may be wrong but I had one heck-of-a-time trying afterwards to remove it.
    THANX AGAIN ALL -You rock!

Yes

Yes .. I have the admin rights to control panel.

Some more info:
    Windows+D, Windows+F works just fine.
    Run cmd from the Start menu has vanished.
    Can't run the regedit program
    Copy Paste does not work. My clipboard is full. cant clear it.
    Its full with msg
    ------------------------
    Hello, every body!
    You cannot found me!?
    :-)
    -----------------------
    Have run the Norton AntiVirus programme. no luck.

Let me know if you need more info for solving the issue.

Thanks
    Jaspreet

I'm also having this problem on my other computer. I couldn't access my control panel. But, with the tips above, I was able to access it again. I had to search for the second "nocontrolpanel" in both current user and local machine (same path of folders as above). Then I had to access the properties in my start menu. When that didn't work, I turned off the computer. (cuz i was annoyed) When I went back on, it was there!! THANKS SO MUCH!

However, I still have a few problems. When I go into the folder "Control Panel" I can't access the icons, such as display, system. Any help?

I get McAfee Software to get rid of the spy stuff. (yes, i'm not too tech savy) I can't get to the calendar/time/clock in the corner, it pops up with that "Please contact your administrator."

Also, I'm having a lot of trouble accessing the internet. I can only access google and comcast.net (my high-speed provider). Does that have to do with the computer or something else.

Oh, also, every so often my screen blanks out to only the background. Which is an annoying solid darkish blue

If anyone could help me with these problems, I'd be really grateful!!
    Last edited by Miniia; 09-06-2008 at 04:55 AM.

unsure Re: This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your administrator.

It seems like this message is haunting me...every time I try to do anything worth doing on the laptop...I get the error message "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your administrator."

The laptop is used for personal use only, and is an NEC Versa E3100. It is running Win XP Home and the problem that I am having is that I want to uninstall some stuff, and install new stuff...like plugins etc, but there is no administrator account....or an account with administrator privileges.

There are only two users on the laptop...both are limited....:crybaby: I can't access anything that might be in the control panel, I did the regedit thing, I did the SpyBot thing, I can't create a new user, I can't log into an Admin account by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del at the log on screen...Running it in safe mode does nothing...Don't know exactly what happened to the Admin account but if anyone knows what the problem is, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your administrator.

If you are getting such kind of message then i would suggest you to uninstall the application when you try to open it and at the same time also check out the process tab kill all the unwanted process, check out below threads with similar type of issue

Getting "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions" ms
    operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect error
    This operation has been cancelled

question Re: This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your administrator.

Yeah when i try to extract hamachi it says This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your administrator can anyone help me with that?

Re: This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your administrator.

Which operating system you are using? Generally that error means that if there is a Group Policy object (GPO) that restricts what programs you can run. So if you need to run a restricted program, contact your system administrator to modify the GPO. If you are an administrator, you can verify the policies that are enabled. To do this, click User Configuration, click Administrative Templates, and then click System.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast