Thread: Even In Safe Mode Windows Xp Wont Load, Help

Even In Safe Mode Windows Xp Wont Load, Help

Windows did not successfully start up because of a recent software or hardware change. This is what i get on windows startup! I recently installed the bundle of software that came with an MP3 player. Option to start up in safe mode, normal mode, or the last known good configuration dosent work! Cant even get to command prompt screen. Is there any way to repair this without losing data? I have an XP cd, but it was not used for the current installation as it came preloaded. Is there any way to repair this without losing data?
    QTechnology Ultra-Quiet ATX PSU 460W I MSI K8N Neo4-F I AMD Opteron 144 CABNE0545 2.66Ghz I 2 x 512MB RAM I 380GB Maxtor SATAI Raid0 Hard Drive I 40GB Maxtor IDE Hard Drive I Nvidia GeForce 7900GTX I Win XP Home Service Pack 2 I Soundblaster Xtreme Fidelity Fatal1ty I Mercury Home Theater HT-4500

Hi, same problem with me, turned out that my secondary HD had failed, there are a few other posibilities for this so dont panic.

Un-plug all un-needed devices especialy USB devices as there ar a few known issues regarding these and your problem, try it with just your mouse, keyboard & monitor attached . If that works plug everything in one by one untill you catch the offender.

Check your motherbord IDE cables as they can work there way loose from time to time! Usualy grey ribbons that go from the motherboard to the hard drive and cd/dvd drives. Each connections also need to be checked.

When you try and start windows how far does it get before rebooting? (MUP.SYS?) If it is a system file that has been corrupted, you may still be able to use the recovery console from the disc to replace the offending file without reinstalling.

Reinstalling windows over the top without formating i cant see any reason why you would have a problem, just make sure you have the right code for that disc and it should work! If it cant for whatever reason, it will tell you in the xp setup program and in which case just cancel it.

hope that helps

Your partitions might of did something i had the same problem long ago and i had to set my first partition to active and then it worked. But sounds like you need to check you hdds and make sure the jumpers are right and make sure no hdd fail or burned out.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600