Thread: Windows Registry Access Denied

Windows Registry Access Denied

Hi

I am running XP Home and when I right click on files to say for example delete them or view properties I get a popup error saying Registry Access Denied. When I OK this I then get the std windows menu where I can perform the action I wanted to. Not sure if this is a windows error or a virus or spyware or some other corruption. I have ran Norton antivirus, XoftSpy (Anti spyware) and also run Registry Mechanic 6.0 but this is still occuring.

Any ideas ?

Re: Windows Registry Access Denied

Hi

I had the same problem caused by a free zipx extracting software, "ZipX".

You may have installed some software like this, which has right click menu.
    So that uninstalling these softwares may solve the problem.

Re: Windows Registry Access Denied

This quandary occurs because the present user does not have the acceptable permissions for the following key in the Windows registry:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Component Categories\{62C8FE65-4EBB-45e7-B440-6E39B2CDBF29}
    To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
    1. Log on to the computer with an account that is a member of the Administrators group on the local computer.
    2. Click Start, click Run, and then type regedt32 to start Registry Editor.

NOTE: On a computer that is running Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000, you must run Regedt32.exe to review and to set permissions in the Windows registry. On a computer that is running Windows XP, you can run either Regedt32.exe or Regedit.exe.
    3. Locate and then click the following subkey:
      HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Component Categories\{62C8FE65-4EBB-45e7-B440-6E39B2CDBF29}
    4. If your computer is running Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000, click Permissions on the Security menu.

If your computer is running Windows XP, right-click the key, and then click Permissions.
    5. Click Advanced.
    6. Click to select the Inherit Permission from Parent Object check box, and then click Apply.
    7. Verify that all of the users or the groups who will be registering or using .NET assemblies through COM Interop have the following advanced permissions:

• Query Value
      • Enumerate Subkeys
      • Notify
      • Read Control

To verify the permissions, double-click the user or the group. If any of the users or the groups do not have any of these permissions, click to select the Allow check box for the missing permissions.

To add additional users or groups to the list, click Add in the Advanced Settings dialog box. Typically, as long as the Users, the Power Users, and the Administrators in the group are present with the correct permissions, everything works correctly.
    8. Close Registry Editor.
    9. Register the .NET assembly for COM Interop by using Microsoft Visual Studio .NET or the Regasm.exe utility.