Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Sectors!!!

ohmy Bad Sectors!!!

hi geeks..

please help me about bad sectors..

Earlier i had Seagate 40 GB harddisk. After three yrs bad sectors filled C: and then it began expanding to other partitions also.. At last I had to buy a new one, Samsung 40 GB on which now i have installed windows xp and linux..
    Nowadays when it scans C: it shows 8192 bytes in bad sectors..
    What should i do to save my harddisk..Defragment i think isnt it..
    but i bought this new one very recently..How come bad sectors so fast?

Also can i use the old hard disk which is infected with bad sectors..(i still have it with me..)The last partitions of that disk have not been infected till now..

if u bought the drive recently.
    not more then few months ago.

i would recommend going in for replacements..

tech solutions are not possible on a drive with bad sectors via using any software.
    as much as my experience goes.

Sandy...

ujjwal Guest
    If your hard disks are developing bad sectors so quickly, maybe there is some problem like excessive dust. Shift your pc to some other room.

mavilla Guest
    Well very few times are the Bad sectors physical.Sometimes the bad sectors are logical.For example sometimes there are bad sectors and a few days later when you format the hard disk,there aren't any!
    This happened to me with a Samsung 40 GB HDD.
    I would recommend you keep that HDD of yours in a cool place and then try formatting it again,may be you can recover the entire space.

Note: Physical bad sectors are formed due to frequent,abrupt poer failures and hence PC shutting down immediately or Physical shock to the hard disk,like HDD falling off....

well.. i had the necessity for hard reboot sometimes due to some display errors..

also ujjwald do u think external dust of room affect the hard disk and create bad sectors?? :-|

mavilla Guest
    I don't think dust has got aything to do with bad sectors.

shrek_incredible Guest
    if the bad sectors are due to anything other then physical damage then you should get this soft:
    HDD Regenerator
    Your hard drive getting cranky? Almost 60% of all damage of bad sectors hard drives have incorrectly magnetized disk surfaces. HDD Regenerator has found an algorithm which is a special sequence of high and low level signals. These signals are generated by the software and they switch damaged surfaces. Even low level formatting is not able to handle this task! HDD Regenerator regenerates bad sectors by magnetic reversal. If your hard drive is damaged by bad sectors, the disk not only becomes unfit for use, but also you risk losing information stored on the disk. HDD Regenerator will regenerate your hard disk. As a result, unreadable damaged information will be restored. With all this going on the existing information is not affected!
    This is a kick ass tool and it does the job in most cases. And speak with first hand knowledge in this reagrs as i used it to recover about 8mb of bad sector in my Earlier HDD(seagate 8GB)

Get it here
    http://www.pcnet-online.com/downloads/hddregerator.htm
    http://wcarchive.cdrom.com/pub/bws/bws_94/hddreg.exe
    (shareware-1.86mb)

I agree with ace. HDD Regenerator is the best proggy to recover and fix bad sectors. But in case you are using a FAT/FAT32 file system, then the BEST software would have to be Spinrite 5.

Neo Guest
    but if the problem is not solved with regenerator, go for replacement. if u somehow want to keep this hard drive, u may try a low level format. it's working very well for me for more than a year. look up the samsung and seagate websites for more info.
    samsung has some nifty tools on its site but they are model specific if i remember correctly.

Yep. All the tools for ALL disk drives, including SpinRite and HDD Regenerator, and the manufactures tools, plus a complete recovery toolkit and optimisation toolkit, Available on my SuperBoot CD v.10c Alpha 6 + WinToolkit v060204. Its an all in one - fix it all CD. In case you want the CD, I can courier it immediately free of charge..

Quote Originally Posted by ujjwald
    If your hard disks are developing bad sectors so quickly, maybe there is some problem like excessive dust. Shift your pc to some other room.
    The harddisk will simply crash if any dust particles touch the platter.

shrek_incredible Guest

ThumbsUp

Quote Originally Posted by [deXter]
    Yep. All the tools for ALL disk drives, including SpinRite and HDD Regenerator, and the manufactures tools, plus a complete recovery toolkit and optimisation toolkit, Available on my SuperBoot CD v.10c Alpha 6 + WinToolkit v060204. Its an all in one - fix it all CD. In case you want the CD, I can courier it immediately free of charge..
    lol
    dexter you gonna get a flood of emails now,,,
    But i am the first one. I want the cd

Quote Originally Posted by ace
    lol
    dexter you gonna get a flood of emails now,,,
    But i am the first one. I want the cd
    Lol!!,
    Guys, have pity on him! dont make him bankrupt!!

mavilla Guest
    phokat de raha hai to mere ko bhi 10-12 chalega

I think constant fluctuation in power also tends to harm the HDD... (I mean obviously if you don't use UPS.. you will definitely crapify ur disk sooner or later)

Like my Inverter wasn't working once.. so we were using generator during powercuts..

and my disk developed bad sectors due to the fluctuation...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast