Thread: Does restoring windows 7 through image file can affect Ubuntu installation

Does restoring windows 7 through image file can affect Ubuntu installation

I have a dual boot system. At one side I have installed Windows 7 while on the other there is Ubuntu. I have some issue in Windows 7. It is not working well, it is very slow and it turn on very slow. It takes several minutes to turn it on. I want to restore windows 7 back again. I have created a recovery disk for the same. The backup is stored in the D drive. And there is a Ubuntu partition which is hidden. I want to know that does restarting will cause any issue with Ubuntu installation. I hope that does not get spoiled.

Re: Does restoring windows 7 through image file can affect Ubuntu installation

I do not think that will cause any problem. Because here you are just restoring a single partition not the entire pc. You can do that. But I will recommend you to backup your data before doing that. Because there are chances taht your system might get messed up if things does not goes properly. It will be easy to install ubuntu back again. You just have to use the wubi installation to put it back and it will start working. You can put that inside windows and then create a full backup.

I also think there will be no issue with the same. You have to try that first. It is good to take the backup and then go for the same. Because here you are going to restore a entire partition and there are chances that your system might not work well if you it is not done properly. I want to know when you made the backup. After installation of ubuntu or before. If you had done before, then there might be issue with a full restore. And if you are done this after then there is less to worry about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Jits View Post
    I have a dual boot system. At one side I have installed Windows 7 while on the other there is Ubuntu. I have some issue in Windows 7. It is not working well, it is very slow and it turn on very slow. It takes several minutes to turn it on. I want to restore windows 7 back again. I have created a recovery disk for the same. The backup is stored in the D drive. And there is a Ubuntu partition which is hidden. I want to know that does restarting will cause any issue with Ubuntu installation. I hope that does not get spoiled.
    no it wont.
    your image resstoring is actually system restore,which changes the windows settings of your computer.(inside c: drive)

this doesnt affect the MBR(master boot record) which is a seaparate volume above c: that no one can see

ya but if your try startup repair you can run into problem.

I had done this after when I had completed installing everything. I started with windows installation first. I installed all required software, printer driver and other required drivers. When windows setup was completed then I started working on ubuntu. I created a 50Gb space in the system and install windows on that. The partition is not visible in windows. Once it was done then I went back in windows and created a full system recovery image. So that I can restore if something happens to my pc.

Then it will work. I had did this a number of time. I am hardware engineer and a number of time my clients call me to fix problem. So I keep a full image file ready in a hidden partition and then I use that for the restoration purpose. It is a very effective solution. I had did this once when there was a dual boot pc with Linux mint. The windows partition catches virus and was not working fine. So I restored it back from the image file and nothing happen to the Linux partition. It was working really well.

You have to check one thing before doing. If you are having any thing on your desktop then the recovery will ask you to backup those files before moving ahead and you can then simply go ahead with the same. If there is some issue later on after recovery windows, you can try using EasyBCD. It is a nice tiny tool through which you can reconfigure dual boot by adding entry manually. Most of things are done automatically through the software. It scans and find the installed operating system and add them.