Thread: Disk usage 100% instantly after updating Windows 8.1

Disk usage 100% instantly after updating Windows 8.1

A new issue occurred on my system. A few months ago I had updated to Windows 8.1. I always keep my system updated. Recently there were few updates that installed. It took really long time for my system to turn off. It took around a hour for updates to configure. The screen was stuck on update installation. And it did not went ahead. I want some help for the same. The disk usage has gone to 100% after that and the entire system is working slow. I had tired to restart my pc a number of time but disk usage is not getting low.

Re: Disk usage 100% instantly after updating Windows 8.1

Try to find the list of programs in your pc. I am quit sure this is not due to windows 8 updates. There is something else in your system which s causing such a high disk usage. It can be antivirus scanning, any backup software or any tool that is installed for the maintenance purpose. You have to remove that to resolve the issue. You can find that through process explorer. Just install the same and boot your pc in safe mode. There you can find ample of information about running processes in your system.

I am quiet sure this is some kind of virus issue due to which you are facing the problem. You have to scan your system for the same. You can use a bootable antivirus cd for the same. Because I am not sure whether your existing one can locate anything. Just boot your system with that and run the scan. If there are any threat then it can be wiped out from the drive itself. Disk usage increases then there are lots of applications constantly working. It can be a virus also. Scanning will stop them and make you system output better.

What you can see in task manager. If you can post a screenshot then it will be a lot more helpful. You can find through Task Manager what all things are working in the background. And you can simply exist them. If it is svchost.exe then it simply means there is a malware in your pc. To get a bit more detail you can try using hijackthis. This application works a lot better. It will scan your pc and will give you a report at the end with full list of things working in the system. You can remove things which you dont need in safe mode.

Boot your pc in safe mode first and check the disk usage. If it is low then it is not due to virus. It is due to some third party program which is working in the system background. In safe mode very few applications are working. And they do not consume much ram due to which the system works well. Here you can start working with few tiny things. Like you can run system restore. This will help you to restore your pc to its old state when everything was fine. Avoid installing things which are not needed.

You can try using CCleaner for a while and I am quiet sure this will help you a little. It can boost the system output by removing a lot of junk from the system. And I do not think you do not have to do much after that. If this thing does not help then the last option left is to format your pc and install windows back again. Then the disk activity will be reduced. So just try CCleaner first. Run all type of scans on the same and then test back. Once done try to reboot your pc and check the disk usage.