Thread: Windows image recovery says incompatible file at restore

Windows image recovery says incompatible file at restore

I am having a bit issue with Windows 8 recovery. This is not working well as expected. I am trying to restore it through the image recovery. My system is crashing on desktop. Whenever I click on anything it freezes. I had kept a system image file ready with me. But when I try to use that for restoration I am getting a error that windows is unable to restore due to incompatible file. I had created this file in the system and how it can be incompatible with the restoration process. Want some help to fix this thing.

Re: Windows image recovery says incompatible file at restore

It is not due to the operating system, it is due to the boobtale disc you are using. You have to find the right disc or restoration. For example you are having a 64bit version of windows in your system and you are using a 32bit windows to restore the same then it will not work. You need exactly the same operating system disc to restore. That is why when you create a system image, windows ask you to create a bootable disc which is used for the restoration purpose. You have to create a system restore disc.

You can still do that. You have to start your pc in safe mode first. In safe mode your pc will start working fine. Now in that search for system repair disc in the search box. Put a empty CD or dvd in the optical drive and then run the same. It will create a compatible system repair disc that will be used for the restoration of image file you had created. Keep the dvd save with you. You will need this in future for fixing the issue. Or else you have to create the same thing again and again.

You can restore without that if you want. You have to restart your pc purposely a number of time. Keep on rebooting the pc on boot screen. You will automatically land on a repair screen. This also appear if you hit F8. AT the top you can see Repair. Select that and then hit enter. A windows repair utility will start. Now choose the image file which you had created and restore your system. This is going to take hours to complete depending on the size of your system image you had created.