Thread: Does formatting pc can permanently deleting files from Windows 8

Does formatting pc can permanently deleting files from Windows 8

I am going to sell my laptop. And I had used it lot for project work. Most o those were linked with banking security stuff. I want some help to delete my data completely. I had seen a few articles on the that states it is easier for some people to recover data even when it is deleted. How is it possible. What if I format my pc completely. All the partitions and install windows back from scratch. Will that do the job. I am not able to find proper tool for doing the same. I just want my data to be unrecoverable through any software.

Re: Does formatting pc can permanently deleting files from Windows 8

It is possible. When you delete any data and clear the same from recycle bin it is not completely wiped out. It still remain in the system and there are few tools which can recover the same. To remove them you have to format your hard drive with some good third party tool. The process is called as low
    level formatting. That permanently remove the data from the hard drive which remains un-recoverable. CCleaner is a popular software that has this
    feature. In that you have to click on Drive Wiper under Tools and click on Complex overwrite. This will take time but data will be removed.

I had used a command line tool for the same. This tool has helped me to remove the data permanently form the system. It is called as SDelete. It comes in zip file format. You just have to extract the same in a folder. And in that you have to hold shift and right click. Click on command prompt. This will open up cmd in that place. Then run sdelete -z and hit enter. You will get a few list of commands that you have to use for wiping out the partition. The tool is simple to use and is also really fast.

The best tool for this stuff is Darik's Boot and Nuke. I am quiet sure you can trust on this software for wiping out your system storage. The best part is that this tool works through bootable dvd. It will completely delete everything from your hard drive. Even the windows partition. You have to download this and burn the same on a dvd and boot your system with that. Once you are done you have to see the screen choices. Choose the hard drive and then permanently delete everything from the same.

There are many data wiping tool that you can download. Most of them are free. But the above method is more safer. Because here you are not deleting things through a third party software in windows. You are doing that from cd. So you will get a maximum data deletion. In most of the case if you do in windows environment then still some data is left. This can be your downloads, browsing history, etc. You can use the above one and it will be a permanent solution. Later on you can create partition and install windows back again.

Windows comes with a built in data wiping software. It is a command line based utility called as Cipher. This tool will help you to delete the data permanently. But you cannot do anything in the windows partition. You can remove the files from your D or other partition. It is fast and quiet easy to use. You just have to use the following command cipher /w:z:\folderlocation. You can run the command then choose the folder or partition you want to wipe out. Try to find some YouTube videos on web to locate a simple way of using the same.