Thread: Shrinking Windows 7 partition cause blue screen

Shrinking Windows 7 partition cause blue screen

My c drive is having around 150GB of space. I want to shrink the same to 60GB. My existing used space on the system partition is around 30GB only. So I think 60GB is more than enough. But when I try to do that I am getting blue-screen errors. The pc keeps on restarting. Luckily I had kept a image file ready with me. Through which I am able to restore my pc quiet instantly. I am using the default Disk Management to shrink the partition. But that thing is not working. I want some help here.

Re: Shrinking Windows 7 partition cause blue screen

It looks the default Disk Management feature is messing with some system file. There is one thing you can do. Start with disk defragmentation. This will simply clean up the space on your system and then you can go ahead with shrinking the volume. By default Disk Management gives you a lump sum size that is left for the defragging stuff. You can through that simply get some more space. But if you are still getting the same kind of error then it is recommended that you must install third party partition resizer.

Re: Shrinking Windows 7 partition cause blue screen

Try partition magic. It is a nice software to resize partition and it does not create any problem. I use this always when I need some space from the c drive. You can resize the partition and you can also add more space from your existing partition. This tool has a very simple ui and it smartly manages all partition size. It has a slider through which you can drag and adjust the partition size. You can remove space or you can merge that in the partition. It works really simple.