Thread: Simple raid configuration for data backup on Windows 8

Simple raid configuration for data backup on Windows 8

Want a bit help to configure raid on Windows 8. I want to configure my second drive for backup. I am unable to get any solution for that. I have a 500GB drive among which I am ready to dedicate atleast 250GB for the backup only. It happens sometime the system fails to work of when there are virus issue the data is wiped out also. I think raid will be very effective solution for the backup stuff. I want some help for configuring that.

Re: Simple raid configuration for data backup on Windows 8

The best and easiest way is to use Google Drive. Just install the drive in the D drive. And then put your data in that. Whenever you format your pc your data will be in the D drive. I had uploaded my 10GB of data on it. It took around 4 days to upload files, and now I have dual backup. One on my pc and one the cloud. You can also do the same. Raid can be complicated and if the setup fails you will loose everything.

Windows 8 comes with built in raid setup. But it is good to keep your data on multiple location. I do not really trust raid fully. You can find the settings for that in Control Panel > System and Security > Storage Space. Just go in that and there you can create a new raid. You can checkout some videos on YouTube that will put more highlight on the exact settings. Before doing this copy your data in a external hard drive.

Raid is a complex configuration. But it is reliable and trusted by companies. I had seen a new laptop that comes with raid setup. It is pre-configured. I am having one system at my offline. It has 1TB drive. Among which 500GB is configured as raid and data is security copied at two location. So that keeps things more safer. For raid you will need a expert guy who can properly configure your drive.

One thing you must also know that raid slow down the drive performance. It affect the overall output. So you must configure the same properly. It is always reliable if you have two hard drive for raid. Many laptop has that. They have 500GB dual drive where data is properly reflected on both places. Things works more accurately. But if the raid partitions are configured on single drive then chances of data loss are always higher.

For setting up raid on Windows 8 you have to go in Control Panel > System and Security > Storage Space. On the left you can see a option Create a new pool and storage space. Click on that. There you have to choose the drive or partition. Click on Create Pool. You can set the space limit here. There is no need to configure the entire high space. You can limit that as per your need and the data will be automatically copied in that.

I do not think that is efficient. There will be always risk of looking data. I found the Google Drive solution more better. I am having around 5GB of important data. This is a mixture of audio, pdf and Office files. I had uploaded them on Google Drive. Now I am directly working through it. All my data remains online and it is quiet easy to access it. There is less to worry. Google Drive also gives 100GB of space at a very cheap price.

The raid that you are going to setup in Windows 8 is a kind of virtual setup. It is quiet effective if your motherboard has that support. You can then configure raid on the same. I am having a desktop at office which act as the central storage. There are 4 drives in it and all are configured on raid. They work really well. Data is replicated on different hard drive quiet easily. There is no issue at all.