Thread: Ad-Hoc network disappeared after upgrading to Windows 8.1

Ad-Hoc network disappeared after upgrading to Windows 8.1

I was running Windows 8 on my computer and recently have upgraded it to Windows 8.1 update. When I was using Windows 8 then I didnt have any issues making an ad-hoc network on another Windows 7 pc and seeing and connecting it to Windows 8. But now, after I upgraded it to 8.1 OS windows is unable to see Ad-hoc networks. I am able to make Ad-hoc on another pc which is working fine but only the Windows 8.1 pc cannot be seen? Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks

Re: Ad-Hoc network disappeared after upgrading to Windows 8.1

There are many people who are suffering with the same problem where their Ad-Hoc networks are nor shown in the Wireless Network list in Windows 8.1. So to solve this issue you need to use the Wireless hosted network and see if it solves you to connect both the PCs. First open Search Charms and then type command prompt and right click on it and select Run as Administrator. After that type the below commands and press Enter:
    netsh wlan show drivers

Now see the Hosted Network Supported string, if it is yes then your wireless network adapter supports hosted network feature but if it is not then you cannot use it.

If the Hosted Network Supported string is yes then you will need to setup a hosted network as well. To do that open command prompt and right click on it and run as administrator and then type the below command:
    netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=”DESIRED_NETWORK_NAME” key=”YOUR_PASSWORD”

If you want to start the Hosted network then type the below command:
    netsh.exe wlan start hostednetworkname

After you have finished with it then you can easily stop the same connection by typing the below command:
    netsh.exe wlan stop hostednetworkname

If you want then you will also get detailed information about the network that you have staretd with the below command:
    netsh wlan show hostednetworkname

You can easily create and join Ad-hoc network on Windows 8.1. To do that right click the network icon and then click open Network and Sharing Center. After that click Set up a new connection or network. Now choose manually to connect to a wireless network and then click the next button. After that put all the details of the wireless network that you want to connect to and then click Next and click Close. Now download an app called AdHoc Network.zip from here and then open the app and select Connect to a Wifi Network > Select Connect > and then use the name of the profile that you used for connection.