Thread: Disc managment

Disc managment

Hi folks, been a long time fan/lurker and now I need your help. First off I'm a novice user so bear with me please. I updated to win 8.1 a while back and think there has been a change in my disc space etc. my issue is documented here [URL="http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_install/after-upgrading-to-windows-81-i-see-4-identical/0880f37b-18f9-447a-a317-b20522b763ef"] (hope it's ok to post link) Now when I look in "disc management" I see this My thing is if I try run file/system restore I'm told there are no restore points and when I try create one I get "insufficient storage available to create a shadow copy or other shadow copy data error" Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what to do please????

Re: Disc managment

The fix for the error that you are getting is to backup the C partition without the -allCritical option: wbAdmin start backup -backupTarget:E: -include:C:

Quote Originally Posted by einstein_007 View Post
    The fix for the error that you are getting is to backup the C partition without the -allCritical option: wbAdmin start backup -backupTarget:E: -include:C:
    Cheers for the quick reply einstein but unlike you I'm a novice as I said
    I've done a full system back up to an external HD, is that what you mean? When I checked "my computer" today it has another partition or drive (don't know the proper name sorry) beside my (C) drive called Winretools (F) which has a recovery file folder in it

The problem that you are facing could be because the Volume Shadow Copy service and SPP services are not started. To restart the Volume Shadow Copy service and SPP services, follow the below steps:
    1. Open Administrative Tools by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Administrative Tools.
    2. Double-click Services. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    3. If the SPP service is disabled, double-click it to open the service properties.
    4. If Volume Shadow Copy service is double-click it to open the service properties
    5. Click the Startup type list, click Automatic (Delayed Start), and then click Apply.
    6. Under Service status, click Start.

Hi James, I've read in other forums etc, about that issue and checked. My volume shadow copy is automatic and running but I cannot see any SPP services.

Quote Originally Posted by Doolin View Post
    Hi James, I've read in other forums etc, about that issue and checked. My volume shadow copy is automatic and running but I cannot see any SPP services.
    Can you try to open an elevated command prompt, that is run as administrator and then paste the below command in and then press Enter:
    vssadmin list shadowstorage /on=C:

Now right click on the cmd window and click Select All and then right click again on cmd window and copy all the content of the cmd on your clipboard. After that paste the content here in your next reply.

Thanks for all the help guys, cmd wouldn't let me copy for ssome reason but here it is anyway

To create a partition or volume (the two terms are often used interchangeably) on a hard disk, you must be logged in as an administrator, and there must be either unallocated disk space or free space within an extended partition on the hard disk. If there is no unallocated disk space, you can create some by shrinking an existing partition, deleting a partition, or by using a third-party partitioning program. For more information visit this website - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/w...tion=windows-7

Hi folks, I still have this problem and today had an online chat with Dell support who told me the issue was a software one and I would be charged to have it repaired by dell technicians. Anyway I declined Dell's kind offer and about an hour later I got a call from Windows technical department (according to the caller) who proceeded to direct me to my event viewer which has 20,625 errors then he directed me to an inf file in windows where he said hackers were that can affect my computer & gain access to all my info etc. Then I was directed to a website called deskroll.com and asked to click on the "download assistant" this is where I took his details and said I'll call him back etc. I'm well aware of dodgy calls from spammers but My question is this, has anyone ever come across this kind of thing or IS my computer vunerable and infected??? I run malwarebytes and have avast internet security too.

Anyway I declined Dell's kind offer and about an hour later I got a call from Windows technical department (according to the caller) who proceeded to direct me to my event viewer which has 20,625 errors then he directed me to an inf file in windows where he said hackers were that can affect my computer & gain access to all my info etc. Then I was directed to a website called deskroll.com and asked to click on the "download assistant" this is where I took his details and said I'll call him back etc. I'm well aware of dodgy calls from spammers but My question is this, has anyone ever come across this kind of thing or IS my computer vunerable and infected??? I run malwarebytes and have avast internet security too.
    Do not download any tools or whatever they are suggesting you, those are all scammers. Recently one FBI team were able to capture these thugs and were asked to pay a huge amount of money for looting people. There is nothing wrong in the event viewer, it just keeps a log of the error that is generated at any random time in your computer. If they phone again then immediately complain your nearest police station and give them their details.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

Thanks for that newtech, I guessed as much and the arrogance of the man prompted it to be a scam, he was very persuasive and professional in his approach/wording etc but what really let him down was the fact he had an Indian accent and then gave his name as Shane Watson

Hi folks, just letting you know the original problem has been solved. Seemingly even though Volume shadow copy was set to automatic it was sometimes shown as running it actually was not starting One last question now, can anyone explain to me what the two volumes are in this pic please

Hi folks, just letting you know the original problem has been solved. Seemingly even though Volume shadow copy was set to automatic it was sometimes shown as running it actually was not starting One last question now, can anyone explain to me what the two volumes are in this pic please
    I think that optimisation simply means defragmenting the drive. So you can try to use the Windows Defragment program to take care of that. It might also take 12 hours or more so ensure to keep your computer turned ON, you can try to use the computer when the defragmenting process is running as well.

That's right, I was running a defrag and found that, what puzzles me is the two drives on the bottom with the names \\?\volume............. One says its 62% fragmented and needs optimization but Ive no idea what or where it is!!

That's right, I was running a defrag and found that, what puzzles me is the two drives on the bottom with the names \\?\volume............. One says its 62% fragmented and needs optimization but Ive no idea what or where it is!!
    That might be a recovery partition drive on your pc. When you are in disc management then right click on it and select Properties. After that go to the Security Tab and then check if the object name mathces to the name of the drive under disk defragementer. Recovery partition drive is provided by the drive is installed by the computer manufacturer and is used to return the computer to Factory Condition. Performing any maintenance tasks on this drive is not recommended.