Thread: desktop.ini

question desktop.ini

when iam started my windows 7 it opening file desktop.ini automatically i dont know wheather it is a virus so please can any one help me...

Re: desktop.ini

Follow the below steps to solve your issue:
    1. Open Windows Explorer, then click on Organize -> Folder and Search Options.
    2. Go to View tab.
    3. Under “Hidden files and folders” tree, select Show hidden files, folders and drives.
    4. Uncheck Hide protected operating system files in order to be able to view the hidden desktop.ini file.
    5. Click OK when done.
    6. Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup folder, or alternatively, just type shell:common startup in Start Search and hit Enter.
    7. Delete desktop.ini file inside the folder.
    8. Navigate to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup folder, or alternatively, just type shell:startup in Start Search and hit Enter.
    9. Delete desktop.ini file inside the folder.
    10. The bug has been fixed, and no Notepad window with desktop.ini will appear on reboot or startup anymore.

question Re: desktop.ini

thank you i just done it but i want to know is it virus?

Re: desktop.ini

The desktop.ini file is not a virus by default. But there are some viruses which exploit the capabilities of the desktop.ini file. This file can be infected or if it is created by other programs then it might have some attributes which can compromise your pc. Incase you think that it is a virus file then scan it with the antivirus software installed in your pc.