Thread: wifi drops constantly and shows limited in Windows 8.1

wifi drops constantly and shows limited in Windows 8.1

I am using Lenovo laptop and have updated to the latest Windows 8.1 update. Since then the wifi on this laptop is continuously dropping internet connection and always showing Limited if I click on the system tray. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers many time but nothing seems to be working in my case. Does anyone know how do I solve this issue? Thanks

Re: wifi drops constantly and shows limited in Windows 8.1

Since you are getting Limited connection so it seems that your laptop has properly connected to the router but your laptop is not assigned with a valid IP address and therefore you are not able to connect to the Internet. It can also mean that the laptop has been assigned with a valid IP address but there is no internet connection. So, you should try to restart your router normally and see if that works for you.

I too had the same problem of wifi dropping internet connection in my laptop but later on I was finally able to solve this issue. We need to disable the WMM in the wireless card setting to solve the wifi dumps. To do this, go to Control Panel and then in Device Manager. After that go to Network Adapters and find your card and then right click on it and go to Properties > Advanced Tab > go to the bottom on the left side to select WMM and disable it.

I was having this issue for 3-4 times now. The issue definitely seems to be with the new Windows 8.1 update. So, I returned my laptop to the tech support and they remove the 8.1 update from my computer. After that Wifi started to work properly on my laptop. Later on my computer updated to 8.1 again automatically and the same problem occured again. So, it seems that the problem lies with this new update only, microsoft needs to solve this.