Thread: Windows 8 folder take too much time to open

Windows 8 folder take too much time to open

I had upgraded my system from Windows 7 to Windows 8. For few weeks the system worked find. I was not sure whether my system will support Windows 8 or not. After checking minimum system requirement I ran the update and everything is working fine now. But there is a bit issue with the performance. When I double click on the folder it takes a really long time to open. I am trying to open my movies folder which has more than 150GB of data.

Re: Windows 8 folder take too much time to open

The issue lie with the hard drive. The drive is slow due to which your system is taking so much time to open up the folders. You have to defrag your hard drive and I think that will resolve the issue. Just run that through disk management.

Sometime windows take time to read files. If this was on smaller files then it can be counted as a issue. But you are getting problem when you are trying to open a folder of high size. So surely windows will take sometime to read all. You must sort the folder view in list format. If you had kept it in thumbnail then the system will surely take time to give you full output. Sorting in list format is the best where things will load really fast. Another thing you can do is use a third party movie manager software. There are many available. Movie manager tools offer you a nice grid based layout to checkout all the movies. You can run that easily. You are really having a very huge collection and it would be a bit of time consuming process to open it. Windows Media Player is also a good tool for the same. You just have to right click on the folder and add the same to library. That's all.

Windows 8 do create issue when you upgrade it. It better to go ahead with complete scratch installation. That makes your job much more easier. Here you are wiping out the old settings and installing everything from scratch.

Seems your OS is very slow. You said that you had formatted it. But still you are not getting instant output. I had recently formatted my system. I was facing virus issue. I have a folder in which there are around 300GB of data. But it opens really fast. I can even see thumbnails of videos. You have to check the background services once. I will recommend you to run disk deframentation. This tool might improvise the system output and give you a more powerful performance. This issue will be common in all the partitions. Like is C drive or in any other. The system will take time to read the content. It can be due to slow hard drive also or even bad sectors. So you can download and test your hard drive health through the same. If there is any issue start taking your data backup.

You can try using a third part file manager tool. There are many available. It will give you a fast listing of video files. The best one is Explorer++. This is really smart and fast enough to give you list of all files instantly.

This occur due to slow hardware or due to bad sectors. Also if there is a virus in your system then also this thing appear. To test out as mentioned able you can try a third party file explorer like Explorer++. This tools are fast and smooth enough to give you reasonable output. You can checkout all the files inside it instantly. It is fast and also give you listing of all files. It works really nicely and a good alternative to file explorer. So here I am going to recommend you to go for this tool. To fix your system performance you can first try system restore. The second thing you have to do is run defragementation and then wipe out all unwanted stuff from the system. This matters a lot. Any extra thing loaded in the memory will make it more slow and will cause the same kind of issue.

Go back on the old version of windows. The new one does not look working fine in your system. Or if you want the new then don't upgrade just install the setup from scratch by formatting the partition.