Thread: Is it possible to dual boot Windows 8 system with Windows 7

Is it possible to dual boot Windows 8 system with Windows 7

I got a system which came with Windows 8 on it. Now I want to dual boot it with Windows 7. Windows 8 is a bit complicated to use. I do not want to touch windows 8. It must remain as it. But over that I want Windows 7. I don't know how this dual boot thing works. I need some help to install Windows 7 on the same system and configure both the OS. I just don't want to mess with existing settings. I want the system intact with all active apps.

Re: Is it possible to dual boot Windows 8 system with Windows 7

You just have to create separate partition for that. And Windows 7 will be installed on it. This will add a bootloader on the start which will give you the OS choice to launch. This is bit easy. Create a different partition and run windows setup on that.

If you do not want to mess with the partition or go ahead with modifying bootloader then there is a separate way available through which you can install Windows 7 over your existing system. It can be done through virtualization. This process is simple and just need a software. You have to install VMware in your system. Inside that you can install Windows OS. You can run the same on full screen. This is good for those who want to test new os and also who are using old OS on temporary basis. I had installed Windows XP in the same way in my Windows 8 system. It is installed inside virtual partition. It consume a good amount of system resource. You need atleast 4GB of ram and good cpu that supports virtualization. Or else it does not work properly. Only when I have to run old apps I use this vmware software. I turn it off when not needed and work on Windows 8.

Dual boot is not a big issue. But when you install Windows 7 over Windows 8 the bootloader will be modified. You have to use the same old one. This will work fine and will give you option to boot in both the OS.

I had did the same. I am using both the OS side by side. My system was already having Windows 7. Later on I installed Windows 8 on the same. When
    restart I get a Windows 8 bootloader that ask me which Os to go for. It is quiet easy. Now in your case you have Windows 8 before so if you go ahead with
    installation of Windows 7 then the bootlaoder will be modified and you might get the old one back. It is easy. Now the second thing you can do is use a third
    party boot manager software. There are many available. It allow you a simple way of installing and managing different OS on a single screen. It is easy and
    fast to manage, EasyBCD is one of the best tool to customize multiple OS boot. You can add and remove entry as per your need in your system.

Dual boot is possible. It depends on how you do it. I think installing Windows 8 on existing Windows 7 is more better and does not mess with the boot-loader. It add a new one in the system that allow you to choose between different OS.

I will recommend you to backup your data before going go ahead with any changes. You can create a bootable usb recovery easily on your existing Windows 8 system. Later on you can go ahead with setup and installation. So if there is any issue with the setup you can use the pen drive to restore everything back again. The OS itself comes with a process through which you can create a recovery file. In your Window 8 system go in Settings and choose Windows 7 File Recovery. Choose Create system image. Choose the partition and storage location and then click on next. So if anything happen you can easily restore through the pen drive. You will require a 16GB pen drive. The usb space requirement depend on the size of C Drive. Later on you can use Windows 7 disc and install it on different partition. Restart your pc and then check back.

Keeping a recovery ready is a good idea. There can be problem if things does not goes well. Amd when it comes to Windows 8 then there can be issue with the bootloader and installing a third party bootloader will not really work fine.

Web Development Courses India

Yes it is possible to dual boot window 8 system with window 7.It allow a simple way of installing and managing different os on a single screen.It is easy and fast to manage.You can add and remove entry in your system.