Thread: Will Windows 8.1 run on 512MB of ram

Will Windows 8.1 run on 512MB of ram

I want to run Windows 8 on a old system. And I will later on upgrade the same to Windows 8.1. The system has a Dual Core processor with 512MB ram only. It has a 80GB hard drive in it. It is good for testing purpose. I want to install Windows 8.1 and checkout all the features. I had seen a various complain from others that Windows 8.1 needs a good system requirement. It is not going to work well on system with poor hardware.

Re: Will Windows 8.1 run on 512MB of ram

I do not think it will work. Windows 8 comes with a new interface which has a bit more of graphics. I had tested this in old system it lags a lot. It is better to stick with Windows 7 or Windows XP if it comes to a old computer.

You can test it. But the output will not be so great. Windows 8.1 needs a bit better hardware and if there is a dedicated video memory then the output is more better. I had seen this in old system new upgrades does not stand well. As per your question I think you must go with Windows XP only. Because it will be fastest on which you can run different application. If you try to run more application on your Windows 8.1 system and that too on 512MB ram then the pc might lag and will not give you proper output. This is a problem in old system. Another issue lies with Windows is unwanted updates. Which are every now then provided. This updates keeps on adding more things in your system and occupy a good space. If you want you can just test out. Try to dual boot your system. Do not overwrite the existing installation. If there is any problem you have still option to use the old Windows.

Windows 8 can be run on a minimum 1GB ram. But it is recommended to have 2GB with a dedicated video memory so that you get a proper output. Or else the system will not work properly. I had tested the new Windows 8.1 OS on my system which did not worked well.