Thread: Help to move Windows 8 to other partition and install Windows 7 on it

Help to move Windows 8 to other partition and install Windows 7 on it

How to move Windows 8 on a different partition. I bought a laptop that came with the latest Windows 8.1 update on it. I am not so familiar with Windows 8 and want to install Windows 7 on the same. I am using a partition manager software through which I had created some parts. I want to install Windows 7 on the first partition and move Windows 8 on other. I do not want to remove. What is the most easy way of doing this. I can I do this through a software.

Re: Help to move Windows 8 to other partition and install Windows 7 on it

It is not possible. You will have to format your pc completely for that. There is no tool available on the web that allow you to move the OS from one partition to another. Make a recover cd of your system and format it completely.

Moving a OS from one partition to another is not easy. There is no tool for that. And even if you manage to find anything then your system will crash with blue-screen. As mentioned above you have to format your pc and install everything from scratch. That is the only option left. You can here being from installing Windows to a primary partition and then you have to install Windows 8 back. But that is a time wasting job. The best thing you can do is create a empty space and install Windows 7 on it. No need to remove Windows 8. When you start your pc you will get the bootloader menu on your screen which will launch the OS as per your need. And in future, if you think that Windows 8 is not worth you can wipe it out completely and use Windows only. I am using a dual boot system here which works fine. Windows 7 is installed in the last partition and Windows 7 in the first one. It is working fine and has no performance issue.

Moving OS is complicated and somehow it is not possible due to the boot manager. All you can do is simply install windows as mentioned above in different partitions. Or you can backup your data and reconfigure your system back again from scratch.

You cannot do that. You will have to format your pc and install everything back. I had tried this long before. This thing is possible in Linux but not in Windows. You can install OS like Ubuntu on the same partition and remove it when not needed. But you cannot move a OS. This is still not implemented on any platform. No tool can do it. It is better to backup your data first and then go ahead with a fresh setup. You can then create a complete recovery disc of your OS which will help you to restore the os back when needed. This is extremely simple. If you try to do everything from scratch then it is time consuming. Always keep a recovery disc ready for you. Whenever you go ahead with formatting and installing a new OS restoring the old settings back is much more easier.

You cannot migrate, but you can dual boot your system. Which is the easiest option. All you have to do is install Windows is any secondary partition and done. It will work fine. One thing you can must do is keep your data backup somewhere.

There is a migration process available but that can be done only on SSD. Still you can try this method and it might work. But it is essential that you must backup your data and then go ahead with the process. The process is a bit complicated and is also quiet long. You will have to alight the SSD sectors and repartition your system to get working OS on it. There are ample of guides available on the web which you can use to move the operating system. There is no directly tool for that. The entire process is manual and there are chances of getting blue screen. So the best way according to me is going with the fresh setup. That is installing Windows back again from scratch. It is simple also. All you have to do is spent sometime of installation. You will have to run the setup from scratch. You can create a set of recovery partition which will be more helpful.

Actually I am thinking this maybe can be done by creating an ISO image for your C disk. But first of all you still need to separate a certain number of areas to support that ISO image. ISO image creator you can use UltraISO.
    Also don't forget to keep a backup before you do all these things. Never do it without a backup. The backup software you can use is easeus todo backup gpt.
    Remember to create the partition before you make the ISO image. And I am not sure if this way will work but try it!