Thread: No WiFi after installing Wind 8.1

No WiFi after installing Wind 8.1

I have a Toshiba laptop bought about 8 months ago, it came pre-installed with Windows 8. I have a Wireless Network via D-Link router at home on which i used to access internet on this laptop. Everything was going fine. Now a days as most of the people are upgrading to Win 8.1 Preview, even i thought to test it out and hence upgraded my existing win 8 to 8.1 through the automatic update from Windows Store. Everything went fine, no issues.

I explored the new OS for few hours and found it pretty good but when came to the connection section, i can see my WiFi is turned ON but it is not able to see my WiFi Access point. I tried restarting WiFi, PC, my Router but the same result. Even tried making my Android phone as Hotspot but still the laptop is not able to see it. Rest all devices are working good on my router. Whats the problem? How can i fix it? Please help.

Re: No WiFi after installing Wind 8.1

For your information, when we upgrade to Win 8.1 Premium, it removes all your drivers from the system, just like Xp does. We need to install them all manually one by one. Did you installed the drivers again after upgrading to 8.1? If not, do it and the problem will be solved. Better go to Toshiba's official download Center, select model, select Operating system. If there is no 8.1 listed, download drivers for Wind 8 and install. Now check if the wireless is working.

I will also recommended you to download each drivers available for your laptop and install them all because probably all drivers would have been removed from your system.

Hey guys, I have been through this problem earlier. It was really very embarrassing. Anyways, after lots of workaround I finally managed to fix the problem. Here is what I did. In my case the wireless icon itself was not visible. When I checked it in device manager, it was will yellow marl. First I tried to right click it right from device manager and clicked update drivers. But it said the drivers are up to date.

Later I right clicked it again and deleted the drivers. Then clicked to install, selected Browse My Computer instead of doing it Atomically. After clicking on Browser, select let me choose the list of Device Drivers. Here you will possible find multiple options like Microsoft Driver, Realteck and Atheros. In my case first two didn’t worked but you can give them a try. I finally clicked on Atheros drivers, it took few minutes to install and finally the wireless icon appear.

So the problem could be due to wrong drivers as well. Make sure you choose the right drivers.

Just in case if you are still not able to fix the problem, have a look at these similar discussions with working solutions:

Wireless Network problem after installing Windows 8.1 Preview
    No internet connection after installing windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by Micro Shasha View Post
    Later I right clicked it again and deleted the drivers. Then clicked to install, selected Browse My Computer instead of doing it Atomically. After clicking on Browser, select let me choose the list of Device Drivers. Here you will possible find multiple options like Microsoft Driver, Realteck and Atheros. In my case first two didn’t worked but you can give them a try. I finally clicked on Atheros drivers, it took few minutes to install and finally the wireless icon appear.
    Thanks buddy, that really worked like a charm. I was in process of downloading Drivers from Toshiba but I thought to give a try to your method and it worked. Help appreciated.