Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 27-08-2013

USB modem not working on Ubuntu

I am facing a problem while setting up a usb modem on a Ubuntu laptop. It is a 3G modem. It is used by my friend who gave me for some days as I want to complete a project. He was using the same in Windows, and in Ubuntu it looks really complicated to use. In Windows it gives a popup for setup after connecting, but there is nothing like that in Ubuntu. How can I use it.
Old 27-08-2013

Re: USB modem not working on Ubuntu

All hardware requires a driver to run. So for your Ubuntu system you will need to find the modem driver. The best thing you can do is go on the official website of that usb modem manufacturer and get files for Ubuntu.
Old 28-08-2013

Re: USB modem not working on Ubuntu

The new edition of Ubuntu comes with a ready to use wizard to install and configure the modem. Just connect the usb modem and wait back until the led light on it glows. On the screen you will be able to see New Broadband Connection window. If not then click on the network icon and then click on New connection. Choose the type of modem or device and click on continue. Choose the country and then move ahead. The next wizard will give you a providers list. If you are unable to find the isp provider in the list you can simply type the name manually. Once you are done you will need to confirm the settings. Later on you can simply edit the connection also.You have to enter the Number, Username and Password. That's all. Your dailup setup is ready. Now there is one more thing you can do.You can use wvdial for the same thing. The above process is a manual setup. For using wvdial you will need to launch terminal first. By default it came installed in Ubuntu but if not then you can download that from Software Center. Once you have that then in terminal type gksudio gedit/etc/wvdial.conf. Now in the configuration file you will need to manually type all the details of your dailup modem. Under Phone type = 777 and under username and password type your login details.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , ,