Thread: Windows 8 failed to detect partition of my secondary hard drive

Windows 8 failed to detect partition of my secondary hard drive

I had installed Windows 8 over Windows 7. It was actually a upgrade. The procedure was fine. Later on I had added everything. All software and drivers. But there is some issue with the secondary hard drive. Windows 8 failed to detect its partition. I can only see two old partition which belong to the first 80GB drive while others are missing. Can anyone help me to get some solution on the same. Thanks.

Re: Windows 8 failed to detect partition of my secondary hard drive

Looks like the hard drive has some problem after formatting. Go in bios and check that the drive is detected or not. If not then try to check the cables and then boot back. It will appear if it is properly connected.

First you will have to find whether the hard drive is detected in your pc or not. It is easy to find that in Disk Management. Just right click on My Computer and click on Manage. Go to the lower side and click on Disk Management. See whether the drive is listed there or not. If not then surely the connectivity is affected. You will need to open your cpu case and you will need to check the cable. But if it is detected then on the top side click on the partition. Check under status. If it is written as Healthy then the partition is fine. There can be issue with drive letter. All you have to do is go to the bottom side where you can see two slabs. Disk 0 and Disk 1. Under Disk 1 which is your secondary drive, right click on the first partition and choose assign letter. Click next. Do the same for second one and the drive will be visible. But if under status the drive is marked as something else then you will have to format it. Windows 8 is not able to locate the same due to which it is not visible. This happens a number of time in new system where you cannot do anything. You can try to connect the drive in some other working system to take data backup.

Do you have any important thing in that. If not then why don't you just format the hard drive. It will do the job. This is one of the best way to fix the problem. Just try to format it and then check back. It will appear.

For fixing various drive and partition issue, Partition magic is one of the best software. I am using this from long time and till yet I had not faced any problem. This tool allows you to create a set of different space in working system. There is no need to format it. You can merge or reduce a size of partition with simple clicks. Just try the software. There is a trail edition available which you can use for sometime. The software has great option to play with different drive settings. Recently I got a similar issue with my pen drive. First it was not showing. I tried to format it through disk management. It appear but instead of showing me 8GB it showed me 4GB only. I used Partition Magic to restore the old size back. It works with all kind of hard drive and gives you simple user interface to restore your internal partition. So just test this thing and check back. It will not format your drive so there is no chance of loosing your data also.