Thread: Windows 8 wifi requires manual connection every time

Windows 8 wifi requires manual connection every time

I have a dell laptop which is recently upgraded to Windows 8. I liked the new OS and its features. But the only problem i am facing with the same is with its wireless connectivity. I have a Wireless Network at my home which is already having 5 other devices connected successfully. But since i upgraded to Windows 8, i need to connect the WiFi manually every time even though i have already check marked the box for 'Connect Automatically'. Even it wont save the WiFi password. I never faced this problem until the laptop was running with Windows 7. Any idea what is the problem? How can i fix it ? Please help.

Re: Windows 8 wifi requires manual connection every time

Even i am using a laptop with 8.1 Preview but didn't faced any such problem. Infact there are millions of users around the world but none of them have reported this error with 8.1. So to me it appears something is either wrong with your laptop or with the router itself.

By the way after installing 8.1, did you updated your drivers? FYI, when we upgrade to Windows 8.1 it removes all drivers and we need to install them again one by one as we used to do in XP. So, just download/install the drivers from your hardware manufacturer website and see if it makes any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Julien View Post
    Even i am using a laptop with 8.1 Preview but didn't faced any such problem. Infact there are millions of users around the world but none of them have reported this error with 8.1.
    Nothing like that Julien, even I am facing the same problem as Dëfrim. My laptop also is not able to save the WiFi details and I need to connect it manually after every reboot.

This cannot be my hardware problem because other two laptops with windows 7 are connected to the same router and they work fine. I even tried re-installing the wireless drivers but yet the same problem. Is there any working solution for the same?

It may be windows problem itself, not sure, because I haven’t faced this problem yet. Anyways, if re-installing the drivers is not able to fix the problem I will suggest you guys to just performing System Refresh. This will restore your laptop to factory settings. Remember not to select re-install windows because that will remove the 8.1 preview and will revert your system back to Windows 8 (If you have upgraded it from windows 8).

Quote Originally Posted by Xziibit View Post
    I even tried re-installing the wireless drivers but yet the same problem.
    I am not sure if it will work, but have fixed the problem many times in Windows XP. Just open up Device Manager, disable your Wireless Adaptor. Restart the PC and enable it again. Let it finish installing drivers and other configuration. Now enter your wifi passwords and all, see if it works.

Well I have fixed the problem by simply re-installing it again. As I have upgraded from Windows 7, I was getting some problem with system refresh. Hence did a clean install again from the 8.1 Preview DVD and now the WiFi works fine. Thanks for your helps though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dëfrim View Post
    As I have upgraded from Windows 7, I was getting some problem with system refresh.
    I don’t think your earlier windows (windows 7) has to do anything with system refresh. It use to work in any situation.

Anyways, glad to read you have fixed the problem.