Thread: Start button shortcuts not working in Windows 8.1

Start button shortcuts not working in Windows 8.1

I'm happy to get the start menu back in Windows 8.1 but there seems to be some problem. I updated to this new os recently, installed it over my existing Windows 8 Dell laptop. Everything seems to be working fine. I can even click the start menu while on desktop. But as you know there use to be several right click shortcuts in the new start menu, when i try to open any of these applications/programs, nothing happens. No error, but it wont launch as well.

I am sure there is no problem with those programs, because i can open them easily by going to their original locations, only the problem is opening them from start menu shortcut. Any idea what is wrong and how can i fix this? All helps appreciated.

Re: Start button shortcuts not working in Windows 8.1

I am using 8.1 too but my Start Menu apps work fine, no problem at all. I there would be some problem in the system files. Actually this can be fixed easily by performing System Refresh but doing the same will not be so necessary for just one thing. Hence i would suggest you to first try running System File checker and see if it works.

To do the same bring up search charm bar and type CMD. from the result right click CMD and select Run as Administrator. Now type "sfc /scannow" followed by Enter. Wait and let the system check the files. Once done, restart the system and see if the start menu works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDARIO View Post
    But as you know there use to be several right click shortcuts in the new start menu, when i try to open any of these applications/programs, nothing happens. No error, but it wont launch as well.
    Can you just confirm if the problem started recently or is it not working since start itself?

The problem started right after the installation/upgrade of 8.1 Preview.

Also running sfc /scannow doesn’t makes any difference. Any other help please?

I had this problem once on my desktop after updating it to 8.1. After lots of troubleshooting finally I decided to create a new user account and see if the problem exists with that account as well. Surprisingly the problem didn’t appeared with new Admin account. So the problem was with the user account itself.

What I can suggest you is better try creating a new account and see if the problem persists. If it worked fine then you will need to delete your existing account and work with the new Admin account.

I really appreciate your help Daniela007 but unfortunately I am facing the same problem with my new Admin account as well. It doesn’t works either.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDARIO View Post
    I really appreciate your help Daniela007 but unfortunately I am facing the same problem with my new Admin account as well. It doesn’t works either.
    Hello DARIO,

To me the problem seems to be with the installation itself. The best I can suggest you is try ‘System Refresh’ from the PC settings. It will restore your system to factory settings by removing all 3rd party applications and settings. If that doesn’t helps than you should better try re-installing Windows 8.1 again.