Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013

Common issues while transferring from Windows to Ubuntu

My client is having around 5 pc at his tiny teaching institute. There is a major issue of virus. Because each time I format, the kids use a usb or memory card and infect the entire network. My clients only want system to teach children and internet. So I thought it is better to switch to Ubuntu. Being a Linux environment it is low on security threats and also quiet faster on old systems. So what common problem we can face if we move to Linux.
Old 08-08-2013

Re: Common issues while transferring from Windows to Ubuntu

There are no big issues. The problem only lies with the new ui and platform. Many of your windows application will not work on Linux pc. That you have to manage, that's all. You can dual boot your system if you want.
Old 10-08-2013

The issue lies with application setup only. Like for Ubuntu you will need to us a different office edition. While for Windows you can stick with Microsoft Office. Virus is a very common issue on Windows tha cause a number of different platform where you cannot do anything. So keeping a good antivirus pack will resolve your problem. There are multi-user pack available in the market through which you can secure your entire network. Also you can disable usb or application installation directly from the services. Directly transferring from windows to ubuntu will be a bit complicated for the people to work at start. But it is really a great operating system which is light and fully featured. Linux platform today comes with all kind of application support. There are office package available, you can find a multimedia editor, etc. Why don't you keep a set of different accounts in your system. Like keep a limited account so that people cannot install additional stuff in your system without permission. I did that at my home. I am the only admin while other are limited users.
Old 10-08-2013

Go for Ubuntu. It is a great OS. I switched from Windows long ago. It is more faster and there is less problem about security here. For those who need their system for work purpose only, Ubuntu is a good choice. It is simple to use and has many new features.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: ,