Thread: Windows 8.1 Installation Error 'Not enough free space on partition'

Windows 8.1 Installation Error 'Not enough free space on partition'

Looking for an urgent help from you all. I am having a desktop with 1TB hard drive, already running Windows 7, Windows 8 and Linux Mint triple boot systems. Now i have also downloaded an ISO image of Windows 8.1 Preview to test it out. I created a new partition on my hard drive with 100GB space, burnt the ISO on a DVD and started installation. Hope I'm going right upto now.

Now here is the problem. During the installation (just about 3 to 4 minutes later) the installation gets aborted with an error message saying "Not enough free space on partition". This is annoying. I am selecting the proper partition and is having 100Gb space and as far as i know 8.1 Preview doesn't requires more than 10GB, right? Then why is it giving the space error?

Any help will be appreciated.

Re: Windows 8.1 Installation Error 'Not enough free space on partition'

That sounds strange. Did you created this partition right before starting the installation? I'm asking this because though there might be some hidden files eating up the space which results into that error because If you are installing Windows 8.1 32bit then it wont require more than 10Gb space and 64bit requires 20Gb. Better try formatting that particular partition and start the installation. If still you get the same problem then simply delete the partition from disk management and then create a new one. hopefully it should work fine now.

I appreciate your help Nicole but that didn’t helped either. First of all there was no hidden files in that partition because when I right click and check properties, it shows me all 100GB space left. However as you suggested, I deleted it and created a new partition but yet the same result. But still when I try to run the installer, it ends up with the same error message.

Any other help please?

Well I don’t know if this would be suitable but you should try downloading a new ISO image because I guess there would be something wrong with your Media disk itself. Even I triple booted my desktop with Windows 7, 8 and now 8.1 successfully on different partitions but didn’t faced any such problem. There should be the problem with your Installation CD, try downloading and burning a new ISO file.

Hello suHuman,

I simply upgraded my Win8 to 8.1 directly from the Microsoft store, hence don’t have any personal experience about this problem. But as I wanted to know what could be the issue, I did some search and found a guy with exactly same problem as yours. In his case, according to him his system drive in disk manager was only showing up 32MB left space though it was a huge partition. And hence his installation was getting failed every now and then. He fixed it easily by extending the system partition from 32Mb to higher number and ran the installation. Everything went fine thereafter. So try out the same and see if it works. For more help, you can get the Setup log on your system at this location c\$windows.~bt\sources\panther

Quote Originally Posted by GOOL View Post
    He fixed it easily by extending the system partition from 32Mb to higher number and ran the installation. Everything went fine thereafter.
    Thank you very much for letting me know the same GOOL. That’s exactly what I wanted. I checked the system partition and it my case it was just 40MB. I increased the same to 250Mb and now there was no problem during the installation.

Help appreciated.