Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 25-07-2013

My Windows 8 license about to expire in next 6 months?

I already have two systems with Windows 7 OS. Wanted a new system as well as wanted to test Windows 8 (never used it after consumer preview) hence did some search online and found a well condition laptop running W8. Called up the dealer and got a good deal. Now the laptop is with me and working great. But there is a problem.

While exploring the system i went to Action Center > Windows Activation and saw a message which says though my Windows 8 is activate but it will expire in January 2014. What does that means? Is it pirated copy of windows 8? If yes, then why is it saying Activated? If activated, does it expires every year?

Too confusing question Somebody please help.
Old 01-08-2013

Re: My Windows 8 license about to expire in next 6 months?

Not sure, may be yes, it would be Trial version because if it is pirated copy it wouldn't show you expiry date because they use some kind of hack to activate the windows like a genuine windows do. But it remain activated until they dont use the Windows Update feature.

What i can suggest you is check the back or bottom of the laptop and see if there is any sticker/label with Windows Activation or license key. Most of the laptops use to come with windows 8 pre-installed and hence they use to have the license key printed on their back. If it is there, try entering the keys again and see if the expiry date goes away.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , ,