Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 17-07-2013

Windows 8.1 wont go to sleep

I have a HP Hybrid tablet which came pre-installed with Windows 8. Two days ago i downloaded the ISO image of Windows 8.1 Preview, installed it successfully on this same tablet without any problems. Everything works fine, no problem so far, except the sleep mode. I dont know why the system wont go to sleep. There are no external keyboards and mice connected to this system, display turn off time is set to 10 minutes and system turn off time is set to 15 minutes but even though i leave the system for over half an hour, it wont go to sleep. All i can see is the login screen after coming back. Any idea what could be the problem? This is eating up my battery unnecessarily. Please help. Thank you.
Old 19-07-2013

Re: Windows 8.1 wont go to sleep

Sleep mode somehow uses your graphic card and while updating to windows 8.1, most of the drivers on your system get failed hence you need to re-install them. So probably here the problem is your graphic card's driver. Simply visit the card manufacturer website, download the latest driver available for windows 8. Right click the setup and install it in compatibility mode of Win 8. Restart the computer to effect the changes and now try to test Sleep Mode. It should work fine.
Old 22-07-2013

I too have a dell?s hybrid tablet which installed recently to Windows 8.1. On reading your post I tested my Sleep Mode and it seems t be working fine.

There are few things you need to take care. First of all check if all power saver settings are configured properly. Most of all make sure that the screen saver is off because when sleep mode gets ready to go, screen saver appears and prevent the system from sleep mode. It should be disabled. Also the driver update is necessary as stated above.
Old 23-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algernon View Post
Simply visit the card manufacturer website, download the latest driver available for windows 8. Right click the setup and install it in compatibility mode of Win 8. Restart the computer to effect the changes and now try to test Sleep Mode. It should work fine.
I appreciated your help Algernon. Downloaded and installed the drivers as you stated but unfortunately still the problem persists. Also I disabled the screensaver but yet no success. Can anyone please tell me where exactly is the problem? I am now regretting updating it to 8.1. Was happy with my existing system
Old 24-07-2013

Don?t worry dude. Simply go to settings and perform a ?System refresh?. This will definitely fix the problem. There are many such problems which arises after updating to Win 8.1 but if they wont get solved with troubleshooting, System Refresh will surely fix it. By doing so you will loose all your third party installed applications but yeah, the apps downloaded from Windows store will remain untouched. So I don?t think this will be huge problem, right?
Old 25-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep123 View Post
Don?t worry dude. Simply go to settings and perform a ?System refresh?. This will definitely fix the problem.
Thanks lot deep123 for the help. Finally I got rid of all problems which started since 8.1 upgrade. You were right, System refresh has fixed everything. Now I set the time of sleep after 5 minutes and the system sleeps fine. Appreciate your help.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: ,