Thread: opened files disappearing in win 7

opened files disappearing in win 7

My vpn icon keeps disappearing from the taskbar, so I can't tell if it is operating or not. I have to go into programs and click on the program icon and restart it. Then it reappears in the taskbar.

An OpenOffice doc I had open disappeared, so I had to re-open it.

The main folder from a USB drive I use keeps disappearing, so I must re-open it.

The only things I can remember doing that are suspicious is using SpyBot Search and Destroy. I am wondering if their Immunization feature is to blame.

Another action I took was to to remove a "Toolbar.Snap.do" file from the registry recently.

I would appreciate any suggestions about why this is happening.

Re: opened files disappearing in win 7

Your pc seems to be infected by either malware or a with a virus or some third party applications that runs poorly in your computer. Apart from Spybot which other antivirus are you using? I would recommend you to uninstall Spybot and then login to Safe Mode and then try to run any antivirus or malwarebytes antimalware to scan your pc to remove any nasties first.

Quote Originally Posted by zachary View Post
    Your pc seems to be infected by either malware or a with a virus or some third party applications that runs poorly in your computer. Apart from Spybot which other antivirus are you using? I would recommend you to uninstall Spybot and then login to Safe Mode and then try to run any antivirus or malwarebytes antimalware to scan your pc to remove any nasties first.
    thanks

I run fulls scans in normal mode with malwarebytes and MSE.

Is there a tutorial on this site about getting into safe mode in Win 7 pro?

Well, you didnt say that while scanning your pc with the antivirus programs, any kind of infection was caught or so? Anyways, to go into safe mode, simply restart your pc and then when the first screen appears, start tapping F8 key continuously on your keyboard and after sometime you will come to a screen with options to choose the sade mode function.

thank you for this response and for helping me.

I went into safe mode and ran both MSE full scan and Malwarebytes full scan.

Nothing serious came up.

I found only a PUP in the malwarebytes quarantine file, which I deleted.

Can you specify you found PUP for which software? Also, did the issue related to files disappearing got solved? I would recommend you to first uninstall the PUP for the software that was caught and then try to scan the pc again with the antivirus.

Restarting explorer can also fix the issue if there is no major virus issue. My system was dealing with the same kind of stuff. Sometime the icons in taskbar just disappear for now reason. I am using McAfee here. To fix the same, it is better to end explorer.exe process from Task Manager. Then again go in File Menu > New Task > type explorer.exe and click on OK. This will launch it back which restores all the icons.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary View Post
    Can you specify you found PUP for which software? Also, did the issue related to files disappearing got solved? I would recommend you to first uninstall the PUP for the software that was caught and then try to scan the pc again with the antivirus.
    thank you for this suggestion.

I deleted the PUP without checking the software it came from. I do not think PUP's are very important, usually false positives.

I do a full scan with Malwarebytes and MSE every day but it comes up with nothing. I am doing a full cleaning operation now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sitia View Post
    Restarting explorer can also fix the issue if there is no major virus issue. My system was dealing with the same kind of stuff. Sometime the icons in taskbar just disappear for now reason. .... To fix the same, it is better to end explorer.exe process from Task Manager. Then again go in File Menu > New Task > type explorer.exe and click on OK. This will launch it back which restores all the icons.
    Thank you for this suggestion.

I have performed this operation and the problem has not recurred, although I cannot be sure at this point if this is the fix.

Well if it is not Virus or malware then probably some of your system files would have been corrupt. As you have tried so many stuffs, why dont you try out repairing the system once. I am sure it will surely fix the problem. It will not delete any of your data. Remember you will require Windows 7 installation CD for the same. Repair the system and let me know the results.