Thread: Windows 7 getting slowed down while exporting file from Movie Maker

Windows 7 getting slowed down while exporting file from Movie Maker

I am trying to export a project into a high definition video output on Windows Movie Maker. But it gets slow down when the project is working on the backside. I am unable to use anything here. I checked the system usage in Task Manager and found that the cpu and ram are almost used upto 100%. I am not able to do anything. What can be the reason. I do not think Windows Movie Maker can alone eat so much of system resource.

Re: Windows 7 getting slowed down while exporting file from Movie Maker

It can. It is a video editing application and as you said you are trying to export a HD video from it. Try a lower resolution video. Below 720p and then see. Your system will work fine. I am also using movie maker and has the same kind of issue.

The reason can be due to low ram. Before I was using Intel Core 2 Duo, with 2GB RAM and 500GB hard drive. On that I was editing movies on movie maker constantly. My project consist of short videos. Now when I try to import large videos that would be more than 2GB, then it take relatively long time. Once the project is created and set on export again it consume more than hour to give me the final result. The issue was due to low ram. I added 2GB ram more the performance was bit improved. Now in my office I got a laptop to work. It has Intel Core i3 cpu, 8GB ram with 2GB graphic card. On that the same process takes around 20 minutes. Entire set of videos were created so instantly. So if you want to improve the performance then you have to upgrade your system. Movie Maker is really a high resource intensive application that requires lots of ram and processing power while exporting a hd videos. You cannot just rely on your existing system. Adding ram can give you more boost.

Why don't you try some other video editing tool. Like Adobe Premiere pro. This tool is another great video editing software that works really fine with creating movies. Import time is minimal here. But to export it take time to create the entire project.

I am having a different view on this problem. I am also going through the same kind of situation. I use movie maker to create videos for college product. Here things are really slow. I am having a good ram and standard processor. I think the issue is with the hard drive. When movie maker export a project it keeps on writing a file on the hard drive. If your drive is low then the project process will also be slow. Bit if the same is faster then the performance is more better.I found this by testing movie maker on SSD. My friend has a desktop with SSD on it. It has the same kind of hardware. On SSD video copy and editing work relatively fast. For ram you must alteast have 4GB and Core 2 Duo processor. A graphic memory is more than enough. So if your system sources are completely high then that is due to poor system hardware performance. You might have to upgrade it or you can switch to some other light weight movie making tool.