Thread: Cannot install KB2849636 update required for Windows 8.1 preview installation

Cannot install KB2849636 update required for Windows 8.1 preview installation

I am having a Dell Inspiron laptop with Windows 8 64bit OS. I tested new 8.1 update on one of my friends computer and liked it. Now i am trying to installing the same on my dell laptop as well but facing some problems. I downloaded the update from Market place, it starts the installation as well but about 45% of the progress, it gets freez with an error message saying:

"The following updates were not installed: Update for Windows (KB2849636)"

I tried starting the process about 3 times but the same result every time. I have no idea what to do to get rid of this. Can anyone please tell me if this is known error and what is the fix for the same? Thank you.

Re: Cannot install KB2849636 update required for Windows 8.1 preview installation

I dont think it could be the System requirement problem because it requires only 1GB RAM and CPU higher than 1GHz. So probably it could be the operating system. You might be knowing that in case you are having Windows RT with language pack, then windows 8.1 may not work on your system and you may get many such error messages along with the one you are facing at present. Similarly some windows 8 system which are running with 32-bit Atom CPU's will require to update their graphic card drivers. There are many such small stuffs you need to follow in order to get windows 8.1. Hence better the check the Windows 8.1 FAQ and then following the installation process.

Re: Cannot install KB2849636 update required for Windows 8.1 preview installation

Well my system specifications are as follows: Windows 8 64bit, 3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3537U processor, 8GB 2 DIMM , Nvidia GeForce GT630M 2GB , 500GB Sata HDD. What do you think? Is it compatible for Windows 8.1 update?

Also i have update all drivers and other stuffs as mentioned above, but still getting the same error. Any other suggestion please?

yes, your system is compatible for the update but unfortunately there is no details provided for the above message or the KB ID “KB2849636” from Microsoft. In fact there is no such KB support on their web site. But thing which surprised me was when we download the Windows 8.1 package, the file is named as “Windows8-RT-KB2849636-x86.msu.” So probably the KB comes with the package itself but why it is giving you error, it is unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneroS View Post
    I downloaded the update from Market place, it starts the installation as well but about 45% of the progress, it gets freez with an error message saying:

"The following updates were not installed: Update for Windows (KB2849636)"
    Not sure about the cause of this error but what I can suggest you is download the standalone ISO image of Windows 8.1 from here and then try installing the same. See if it makes any difference. You will need to burn the image first on DVD and then start the process. I know it is going to be hectic to download 2.8GB again, burning to DVD and then installation but there is no other choice if you want to have 8.1.

Hey guys, here is the fully working solution. I have been getting exactly the same error message when I was trying to update to Windows 8.1. Tried several times but every time it use to end up with the same error message as mentioned above. Finally I thought to do a “System Refresh”. Hope you know which Refresh I am talking about (that uninstalls your apps and bring the system to factory state). After doing the same I tried installing the update again and guess what, it installed in the first attempt without any problem.

If you want you can give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Character View Post
    Finally I thought to do a “System Refresh”. Hope you know which Refresh I am talking about (that uninstalls your apps and bring the system to factory state). After doing the same I tried installing the update again and guess what, it installed in the first attempt without any problem.
    Thank you very much for the help buddy. That really did the trick. I finally got Windows 8.1 on my system.