Thread: Cannot uninstall 8.1 preview, help

Cannot uninstall 8.1 preview, help

Hi, i need some urgent help from you all. I recently installed the new Windows 8.1 update on my existing Win 8 system. Tested it for 2 days and dint found anything interesting. specially i was looking for it because of the old windows Start button which we use to have in earlier systems which is not in this update as well. Also there are few more problems after updating to 8.1. Hence i wanted to uninstall it but surprising i dint found any option for the same. Seems like Microsoft doesn't want to allow people uninstalling 8.1

Is there any way to remove windows 8.1 ? If yes, please let me know how. Thank you very much.

Re: Cannot uninstall 8.1 preview, help

Yes, there is no option provided to uninstall Windows 8.1. The only way to revert back to original Windows 8 is by using the built-in option "PC Refresh". If you haven't used this option earlier then let me tell you that it will uninstall all your installed application without effecting your personal files. Also the applications that came pre-installed will not be removed. In short, you are restoring your system o factory settings. Secondly, Microsoft has provided the new Start Menu in this update, if you are looking for XP type start menu than uninstall Windows 8 and install XP on your system because that is the only way to get it. Dude, learn moving with the time and technology.

Is your existing system running on Windows 8 RT ? I am asking this because according to the Windows 8.1 FAQ systems running on RT edition wont be able to restore back or uninstall 8.1 after update. So the only way to get back to your original windows by Refreshing or Restoring your system to earlier version. Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Crad!dock View Post
    Is your existing system running on Windows 8 RT ? I am asking this because according to the Windows 8.1 FAQ systems running on RT edition wont be able to restore back or uninstall 8.1 after update. So the only way to get back to your original windows by Refreshing or Restoring your system to earlier version. Hope it helps.
    Nope, it is not RT. So the only way to get back is by restoring to factory defaults, right? That means i will need to re-install all my applications and softwares. That's ridiculous.

Well, instead of restoring or resetting the windows, I will suggest you to simply go with “Refresh” option. Atleast this will only remove the third party applications without touching the apps you downloaded from Store, your files, and settings. Everything will remain untouched.

Unfortunately, that’s the only way. As a suggestion, whenever you try any new operating system, you should first test it by installing on separate partition or Virtual PC so that you don’t make things ridiculous