Thread: Downgrade from Windows 8 to Windows XP?

Downgrade from Windows 8 to Windows XP?

About a week a go i bought a brand new MSI laptop with quiet better configuration and Windows 8 pre-loaded. In just a week i am so annoyed with the OS that i feel not to touch the laptop. But as i have spent over 70k for the same, i have to do something about it, right? My Windows 8 works like i am using a computer of P3 with 128mb of RAM though i am having it on Core i5 with 4GB if RAM. It freezes a lot, lags too much and damn slow to work.

I searched the web to get any permanent fix of the same but guess what, nothing worked on the same. I dont think the problem is with my laptop, but it is with the Win 8 because i already have two laptops with exactly the same config and they work fine with XP and Win 7 (however win 7 as well creates problem many times). So finally i decided to downgrade the Windows 8 to XP. Is there anyone who can please let me know the process for doing the same?

Many thanks in advance.

Re: Downgrade from Windows 8 to Windows XP?

Well there is no official process for downgrading operating systems, they just tell you how to upgrade. If you want to downgrade to XP the one and only way is to uninstall Windows 8 and do a clean install of Windows Xp or 7, whichever OS you want. So if you have XP CD, go ahead and format the partition or simply buy a new one.

Well the operating system i was using was the OEM edition and they didn't provided me any XP installation disk. However i spend huge dollars and bought this new windows 8. Now as i want to revert back to XP, will Microsoft allow me the refund or exchange it for XP ? I just dont want to spend again for XP because the amount i spent on Windows 8 is going to be useless. any suggestion please?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackiee View Post
    Well the operating system i was using was the OEM edition and they didn't provided me any XP installation disk. However i spend huge dollars and bought this new windows 8. Now as i want to revert back to XP, will Microsoft allow me the refund or exchange it for XP ?
    Oopps, bad luck buddy. OEM editions are not transferable nor they provide you the disk for the same. Also Microsoft don’t provide you the refund because they allow you to use the operating system with Trial version so that you buy the OS only if you are satisfied. Also they don’t provide exchange, atleast not for windows xp because they have almost pulled off the Windows XP support which will be completely shut down in 2014 April. You are in huge problem.

Hello Jackiee,

It is true that OEM editions wont come with the XP media disk but they do provide you the recovery disk. Don’t you have the same? If you have, simply run the recovery and it will install the XP back on your computer. Just make sure you select the proper partition where windows 8 is installed.

That’s it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oorja View Post
    It is true that OEM editions wont come with the XP media disk but they do provide you the recovery disk. Don’t you have the same? If you have, simply run the recovery and it will install the XP back on your computer. Just make sure you select the proper partition where windows 8 is installed.
    Thank you very much for the help Oorja but I don’t have the recovery disk as well. They did provided the disk with laptop but it is now missing. Any other suggestion please apart from buying the new one.

Seems like you have screwed up yourself. Anyways, what I can suggest you is see if any of your colleague or friends are having XP Recovery disc. If they have you can use their disc with their product key, subject to if they agree for the same because this might be a kind of piracy. Alternatively, you can try searching for best deals on amazon or ebay for windows xp. Sometimes few people put their XP with product for sale on these sites at cheaper rates. Hope this helps.