Thread: Windows 8.1 can be installed on Windows 7 or only on Windows 8?

Windows 8.1 can be installed on Windows 7 or only on Windows 8?

Hi, i need a small info from you guys. I am running a Windows 7 Ultimate desktop desktop. It is 64bit operating system. I recently read somewhere that Microsoft has released new Windows 8.1. I was planning to upgrade to Windows 8 since long time but now as there is 8.1, i will like to with this.

So here is the question, for getting Windows 8.1 do we required Win 8 compulsory or can be installed on Windows 7 directly? Also is there any problem of 32bit and 64bit?

Thanks for your helps in advance.

Re: Windows 8.1 can be installed on Windows 7 or only on Windows 8?

Not completely sure but i think Windows 8.1 is the service pack for Windows 8. And if it is service pack surely it requires an existing Windows 8 running system. You will need to do some research on the same.

Hey guys, there is still time for Win 8.1. When Microsoft will release the new OS, they will surely provide the detailed information about the same including what system requirements it need. I think this is not the proper time to discuss this because we don’t know anything. As Wamika said above, it could be service pack and hence will require Windows 8 compulsory but what if MS released it as an Upgrade? You will also be able to install it on your windows 7 computers, right? I mean, if I am running any Win7 computer and I want to upgrade it instead of doing clean fresh install, then I can surely buy Windows 8.1. That is the official process from Microsoft has we have seen in case of Xp to Vista or Vista to 7, or even from 7 to Win 8, right?

Okk, now that was something useful stuff. Thanks for sharing the same Orlando.

By the way, can you just tell me one more small thing. As I loved the new interface and the features of Windows8, I guess there would be something more new in 8.1. So is there any possibility you see that we can have it for testing before we actually apply it on existing operating systems?

Quote Originally Posted by Vadiraj View Post
    So is there any possibility you see that we can have it for testing before we actually apply it on existing operating systems?
    I don’t think so because Surely it is going to be a Service Pack and will be available only either through Windows Update or Windows Store. So in both case you must be having already running Windows 8 computer to download it from Store or from Windows Update.