Thread: Performing a Refresh in Windows 8 removes all programs

Performing a Refresh in Windows 8 removes all programs

I am using a Windows 8 laptop since past 6 months and had a huge list of applications installed including Adobe CS6, CoralDraw and many such heavy applications which i use as per my profession. Since past few weeks my system was working slow. To speed it up i dig out settings and found two options, one was "Factory Reset" and Second was "Refresh".

As i know Factory reset will delete everything from system (atleast from C partition) and bring the laptop to the factory state, hence i choose "Refresh" assuming it will just clean up unwanted files and speed up the system. As this is the first time i saw this option, i was not aware of what it does.

I allowed the system to refresh but this was a huge mistake. It deleted all my installed applications just like the Factory Reset do. Damn. There were so many applications whose CDs are now no more with me. Is there any way i can revert this changes back? Please help.

Re: Performing a Refresh in Windows 8 removes all programs

Yeah, that is how Windows 8's "Refresh" feature works. But what is so surprising in it? When you select to refresh the PC, it gives you a message saying it will remove all apps installed in the computer. There use to be a OK button. When you click that OK button that means you agree with uninstalling the apps. You must always read the messages that appears on your screen with any new device or software.

Even I once mistakenly suffered such loss when I used the refresh system in Windows 8. Mistakenly I didn’t read the caution and pressed OK. Since then I always create a Recovery image using the system built-in recovery option and keep it safe. So in case PC gets slow down or any other problem I simply refresh the system and then flash the recovery image to get my all applications back. It hardly takes 2 hours for the entire process but you get a well running system back.

Hi,

I am new to windows 8, bought it just 2 weeks ago and yet learning the new operating system. However I don’t need to refresh my PC at the moment but would like to know how to we Refresh the system (in case I required)? Step by step process will be appreciated.

Just like Windows 7 where you get everything done by simply searching it in the Start Search Field, Windows 8 is also easy OS. You just need to learn using the search feature in these operating system. Anyways, here is how you refresh your system:
    • Take your mouse to the right edge of the screen.
    • Click Settings
    • Click Change PC settings.
    • Under PC settings, tap or click General.
    • Under Refresh your PC without affecting your files, tap or click Get started.
    • Follow the instructions on the screen.

That’s it. Windows will do rest of the required stuffs.

Remember, “Refresh” will only remove your apps and other settings and bring the Windows to the state where it was at the time of purchase. In case you want to completely re-install the Windows, then you can go with “Reset” feature. Here is how you do it:
    • Take your mouse to the right edge of the screen.
    • Click Settings
    • Click Change PC settings.
    • Under PC settings, tap or click General.
    • Under Remove everything and reinstall Windows , tap or click Get started.
    • Follow the instructions on the screen.

You are done.