Thread: Unexpected shutdown of HP p6654y desktop computer after one hour

Unexpected shutdown of HP p6654y desktop computer after one hour

Hello,
    My desktop is an HP p6654y with 12G RAM, 128 SSD running Windows 7. This computer has begun shutting down after an hour of use. The cursor moves but there is no response. if I change the current application or attempt to get to the task manager there is no result. Currently, I power the computer down and choose "Start Windows Normally" from the displayed menu. All will run just fine until another hour has lapsed when the computer will again shut down.
    I have attempted to use the "restore" feature but after allowing the program to run to completion I get a message saying that the restore process waqs not successful. I have tried using "restore" from three different dates with the program,each time, concluding that the restoring was "not successful".
    I have updated and run Spybot, Maleware bytes and Avast with no malware or spyware being detected by any of these three applications.
    IMHO this seems more like a "setting" problem than a problem being caused by heat. Is there a setting I am missing in Windows 7 other that Power plans and hibernation which would shut the system down after an hour?
    I have pretty much used up my bag of tricks and am open to any workable suggestions?
    I hope some one sees this post and is familiar with the problem and the solution.
    Thank you,
    Jerry D.

re: Unexpected shutdown of HP p6654y desktop computer after one hour

How can you be so sure that it is not a heating problem? Have you monitored the temperature of your HP desktop computer to check what is its normal temp? Download some Temperature Monitoring Software called Real Temp and check it immediately. Also, how old is the machine? Have you made sure that its inside is dust free or clean?

The computer is 3 years old and it is very clean and dust free. If heating would be causing the problem, the computer would not run hour after hour after hour. As long as I power it down, I can bring it back up all night and day and count on it shutting down evry hour. Overheating would not allow the computer to continue to operate hour after hour after hour.
    Hoping for a solution to this problem.
    Thanks,
    Jerry D.

The HP p6654y specs mention that it has only 250W power supply? Can you check its reading in the hardware monitor inside BIOS settings. See if anything is not under 3.3v or 12.0v readings. If they are low then you will have to change the power supply. So, until you get a new PSU, the power outage of the computer will happen evertime at a specific period, which I am thinking.

Re: Unexpected shutdown of HP p6654y desktop computer after one hour

Thank you for your suggestion about the PS being the culprit. Can you tell me what you mean by not under 3.3v or 12.0v readings ?

Also, do I find the bios in "setup" when the computer is booting?

Thanks for your help,
    Jerry D.

Re: Unexpected shutdown of HP p6654y desktop computer after one hour

Well, when you start your computer for the first time continuously press DEL key on your keyboard to get in the BIOS settings. After that there might be some options in which you need to check the settings for 3.3v and 12.0v reading which is nothing but the readings of the PSU, if it is under the readings that I have told, then surely the psu is dying.