Thread: expiry of xp support April 2014

expiry of xp support April 2014

Hi, I was uncertain where to post this query and I hope that this is inappropriate here.
    I have 3 Toshiba XP laptops and a Netbook and have been aware of the expiry support date for some time. At our office we continue on with XP and no urging by management nor tech support that there is any computer change on the horizon...especially to Windows 8.
    I have expressed my concern as I uncerstand that the learning curve from XP to Windows 8 is a jump.........needless to say all of my XP units that I have at home with XP apps and devices.
    I have inquired about Windows 7 and there are still a few models around and talked to my office re any pending changes and continue to be told that I should not worry re Security being a discontinued support.
    Like everyone, I do not have a Crystal Ball... but do try to apply some common sense and realize that support for XP will stop since there is now Windows 8 which I have seen and see where I would be a fish out of water to commence learning in a short period of time before April 2014.
    I try to look at reality and so am confused as to whether one might be able to purchase support from M$ ?? after April 2014 or is that it and our office will be hanging too>
    I started on the computer with XP and thus have no knowledge of what occurred with the end of Support for "98" and 2000.
    I really would appreciate comments from all knowlegeable users as from what I can gather from computer retailers here in Canada ...that the Windows 7 notebooks.."new" are even hard to find.

All replies would indeed be appreciated as I am not a techie advanced user.

Kind regards.

Re: expiry of xp support April 2014

Before upgrading to Windows 7 or Windows 8 you need to have compatible hardware peripherals for it. So, after you have upgraded to a decent compatible hardware I would suggest you get Windows 7 first. You can easily compare the different version of Windows 7 by reading from this website - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-za/w...oducts/compare

Thx very much for the reply. I assume these means then that there will be no support for XP after April of next year?
    I have checked re my hardware and my burner, scanner and printers...both Canons are not compatible with Windows 7 nor.

Did M$ extend the length of support from the original date to later for prior OS like 98, 2000??
    Thank you.

I dont think so microsoft extended their expiry date on their previous version of operating systems. And normally, they will stop all microsoft based services in the OS as well as any other future microsoft updates for security issues and so for Windows XP. You will be able to use Windows XP offline but, while going online you will need to take care about your system not getting infected, after when the date expires.

Thx for the reply. Does this then mean that Antivirus, Malware programs will not be programmed to work with XP OS after the expiry of M$ support in 2014.Thank you.
    ( I guess what I am wondering is what occurred with these security applications in the case of 98 and 2000 systems when they expired?)

I think that they should still work

as long as u already have it installed u should still be able to update the programs

The only thing that is ending as far as i know is just microsoft support for the OS

PROGRAMS that already exist for xp shouldn't b ending support

if anything support might be hardened for xp to fill the gap left by M$

However newer programs in general most likely be made for xp

it is a great shame for us computer junkies that M$ has finally ending support

Oddly tho i have heard that win 7 users can downgrade to xp for the life of win 7. That tidbit was announced the exact same day as the announcement of end of support for xp the notice of m$

Quote Originally Posted by taht View Post
    Thx for the reply. Does this then mean that Antivirus, Malware programs will not be programmed to work with XP OS after the expiry of M$ support in 2014.Thank you.
    ( I guess what I am wondering is what occurred with these security applications in the case of 98 and 2000 systems when they expired?)
    The antivirus or any other software compatible with Windows XP will work but when the support period of XP stops, then there wont be any further enhancements/support for the application or games installed in your pc before the expiry. Usually all other kind of software/games also update so that it can be supported in the latest patch/windows update of Microsoft Operating System.