Thread: How to reset windows 8 password

How to reset windows 8 password

So my situation is that I have a laptop, it has been locked with my brothers “windows live account”. He had not created a local account. Since he is out of town, it’s not possible to contact him in a day or two. I had given him some files, he had saved it in the same laptop, I need those files urgently.
    My friends had given me a hope that I will be able to reset the password by booting in to safe mode. However, F8 as well as Shift + F8 are just not working out for me. I am aware of some other alternate options as well but they can be performed only after booting in to windows. So I am here to know if there is any other way of booting in to Windows 8 Safe Mode without logging in.

Re: How to reset windows 8 password

So you are in quite a weird situation, since you are not able to login I guess you will have to use some third party software for resetting the password. There are a couple of one’s out there but ill suggest you to check out Windows Password Unlocker.

I am aware of that software but the thing is that there is no local account created. There is no other admin account as well, there’s just one account registered with windows live id of my brother.
    I have tried using Windows Password Unlocker but after booting from USB drive, it was not listing the Operating system. I went in to bios and found that the HDD is locked as well. Is there anything other software that I can try out???

Difficult situation....but try this out...type an incorrect password and hit enter at the login page then you will be mentioned that the password is incorrect and show you the hint.. As while register for the first time Hint is mandatory. So you can try to guess the password by hint..

Ill like to inform you that there are many password recovery software which can be used for recovering or resetting Windows local account password but I am quite sure that none of them will be able to crack the sign-in account – Microsoft account.
    If you want then you can try using Reset Windows Password, it can help you reset Microsoft account password by running from a bootable CD or USB drive. Generally Microsoft passwords are cached locally. They are stored as hashes in local system registry. Using Reset Windows Password software you can update the cached password hash with a new password.