Thread: windows xp rebuild - stuck at "wait"

idea windows xp rebuild - stuck at "wait"

Yesterday, I got the xp firewall virus. I tried to get rid of it but after following instructions, I could never get into where the instructions told me to go and do, decided I would just rebuild. I had disks from recoverydisk for the model of my computer. I decided to wipe the whole thing clean and completely rebuild. I did this once several months ago when the hard drive died. I continue to get a loop that says wait but it goes on for hours and hours. I cut it off and tried the whole thing again and am still getting the same thing. It just says wait. This is the second time and the same thing happening. Just not sure how long to wait. Not sure if its doing anything. Any suggestions.

Re: windows xp rebuild - stuck at "wait"

If you have Internet Explorer 8 installed in your computer then it might be the problem, when you are stuck on "Please Wait" screen then try to do a hard reset and then boot the pc into safe mode with networking. After that download the IE8 and reinstall it again. After that try to do the repair thingy which will work fine.

sad Re: windows xp rebuild - stuck at "wait"

I can't even get to that point. The rebuild is not complete and the system only boots up goes to the wait point and thats it. The rebuild never finishes. I am guessing there is something wrong with the disks I bought earlier this year. It does not make any sense.

Re: windows xp rebuild - stuck at "wait"

There can be a number of things that you can try to do. First of all did you check whether there is any malware prior of the repair? Normally, when you try to repair XP then it doesnt necessarily gets rid of the all the malware. Are you able to boot into Safe Mode? If you can, then try to access and copy all the data from your computer to another drive and then try to reformat and reinstall Windows XP.