Thread: Windows 8 - 'Disk boot failure, Insert system disk and press enter'

Windows 8 - 'Disk boot failure, Insert system disk and press enter'

Don’t know what went wrong with my system suddenly. I had installed windows a couple of weeks ago and today when i started my system it came up with an error message saying 'Disk boot failure, Insert system disk and press enter'. I don’t know what to do, does anyone have any idea about it???

Re: Windows 8 - 'Disk boot failure, Insert system disk and press enter'

Before suggesting you anything, I want to know if you have external drive or any external component connected to your system like printer, scanner etc?? If yes than disconnect them first and try rebooting your system after that. If that doesn’t help than let me know if you have made any hardware or software changes in your system recently. There are possibilities that some recent changes might have caused this issue.

I don’t have anything external driver, printer or scanner connected to my system. I just have keyboard and mouse connected to it externally. I have tried disconnecting then before starting my system but that’s not making any difference in my case. As far as changes are concerned, I have not made any hardware changes, I have installed some games recently and I don’t think that they might be causing any issue as I had installed them a week ago. This error has come up just today. Please let me know if there is anything else that I can check out.

Try resetting cmos and see if that helps, "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk & Press Enter" error can come up because of a failed cmos battery as well. There are different types of method for resetting cmos, I will suggest you to try out the simplest of them all.
    • Turn off your system and unplug the power cord
    • Take out the cmos battery from the board and wait for 30 seconds
    • Reseat the batter, plug the power cord and restart your system

If it boots up fine than well and good if it doesn’t than you can try changing the battery itself.

I guess there might be something wrong with your hard drive, you can try unplugging and plugging it. If that doesn’t make any difference than I will suggest you to perform a system restore, hope you have windows 8 original installation disk.

I think you were right, there is something wrong with the hard disk in my case. I had tried unplugging and plugging the hard drive but I was getting the same error message. Systems restore and re-installation of windows 8 went successfully but as soon as I rebooted my system after completing them, same error message came up. God knows what went wrong with the drive after installing windows 8. I did not had any such issue while running windows 7 on the same drive, I had ran windows 7 for almost a year and half without any issue.