Thread: Windows 8 installation getting stuck at Preparing

Windows 8 installation getting stuck at Preparing

I am trying to install windows 8 on my system running windows 7 but I don’t know for what reason when it gets to the device setup, system setup than it gets stuck at Preparing. I have to force my system to shutdown and start it again. By now I have tried out the installation 6 times and haven’t got any luck. Has anyone else faced same issue or there is something wrong in my case.

Re: Windows 8 installation getting stuck at Preparing

Its seems windows 8 installation is getting stuck at that point while searching for some device or its driver. I will suggest you to better run Microsoft Windows 8 upgrade assistant first and cross check if there is a need for installing or uninstalling before installing windows 8.
    Other than that, make sure that you have bought appropriate version of windows. I mean if you system is running windows 7 32 than you should install windows 8 32 bit and so.
    If I post, it's because I have something to say, not just to up my board count.

Quote Originally Posted by JinaJ View Post
    I am trying to install windows 8 on my system running windows 7 but I don’t know for what reason when it gets to the device setup, system setup than it gets stuck at Preparing. I have to force my system to shutdown and start it again. By now I have tried out the installation 6 times and haven’t got any luck. Has anyone else faced same issue or there is something wrong in my case.
    did you make sure your default browser was IE before you did the upgrade? thrn you can reset default after wards
    KikisPlace

Since you have uninstalled recommended programs I want to know if your system is up to date with windows recommended update by now. I have found some experts mentioning that it is recommended to install required updated before upgrading windows. So if you have missed that part than try it out now and continue with the installation later. Make sure that you are updating your system bios as well.

I think there is something wrong with your system memory, Hope your system requirement meets up windows 8 requirement. If it meets up the requirement than run MemTest 86+ overnight and check out if it passes every tests. If it doesn’t than you might have to get it replaced.
    I also wanted to know if you have tried installing it on some other system??? If you have bought the upgrade installation disk then there are possibilities that there might be something wrong with it. I have come across few people who have reported issues where installation process was getting hanged at some point. They had to get their installation disk replaced.

Before installing windows 8, make sure that below conditions are true:
    Uninstall any security software before attempting to upgrade.
    You have disabled encryption software’s installed in your system
    You have disabled/uninstalled disk utility software’s or third party defragment programs installed I your system
    Make sure your computer devices and applications are updated
    Disconnect non required external devices connected to your system
    If issue continues than Check your hard disk for any errors running “chkdsk /r /f” command in command prompt.
    Bethany

I will suggest you to run System File Checker utility, it will check out for Windows installation for errors and will fix them as well. You can refer below steps for running System File Checker utility.
    Go to start, click on run, type “cmd” without quotes and hit enter.
    Once command prompt gets opened, type “sfc/scannow” without quotes and hit enter.
    A small scanning process will start and will check out integrity violations and will restart your computer as well.