Thread: After installing Windows 8 on Dell N5110, getting black screen at boot

After installing Windows 8 on Dell N5110, getting black screen at boot

I have a Dell N5110 laptop with me which I use for my office. Recently I brought the consumer preview of Windows 8 and installed it in my laptop. My laptop has an Intel HD graphics in it, which is compatible with Windows 8. Windows 8 started properly in my computer for the first time, but when I started it for the second time it didn’t start and just gave me a black screen. If I connect my Dell N5110 laptop to an external monitor, then I get proper display. Can someone tell what the problem can be?

Re: After installing Windows 8 on Dell N5110, getting black screen at boot

When I read your question, the first guess regarding the problem of the black screen with Windows 8 made me think that there must be something wrong with the graphic drivers in your Dell N5110. Since you are mentioning about using Windows 8 before release, I guess it must be the consumer preview version. The consumer preview is not the complete or proper version of the operating system. It is still broken or incomplete in many parts. So maybe the graphic processor in your Dell N5110 laptop is not compatible with it. Maybe you can try upgrading graphic drivers for your laptop or wait for full version of Windows 8 to release.

You say that the Windows 8 in your Dell N5110 laptop fails to start on the laptop with display, but works properly with the external monitor, I find this really strange. I suggest you to go in safe mode and see if you get the same problem. If the laptop has any problem in it, you won’t be able to see the BIOS messages. It is the problem with Windows 8 itself. During the startup, press F8 to get into the safe mode of Windows 8 and try to solve problem from there. But I think that this problem is related to the Framework 2.0 and 3.0 of Windows 8, you can try enabling or disabling it to see if it works.

Since you mentioned that you are using Windows 8 consumer preview on your laptop, it is a known issue that this version of Windows 8 is not complete and still has many loose ends. Maybe the Windows 8 is not able to work with the monitor your laptop has. Another reason can be that the resolution of the Dell N5110 monitor must not be compatible with Windows 8.

I suggest you to use another operating system for now and wait for proper version of Windows 8 to release in the market.